U.S. ASSESSES THAT NEXT M.E. WAR WILL CONTAIN WMD

  • Ami Isseroff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2001
      U.S. ASSESSES THAT NEXT M.E. WAR WILL CONTAIN WMD

      http://menewsline.com/stories/2001/july/07_01_2.html
      WASHINGTON [MENL] -- The United States has assessed that the next Middle East war will include the
      use of ballistic missiles with nonconventional warheads.

      U.S. officials said this scenario has been drafted by experts in several defense agencies. They said
      such countries as Iraq, Iran and Syria might launch chemical and biological weapons attacks in any
      confrontation with Israel.

      The assessment has been presented to President George Bush. The White House was told that the Middle
      East was sliding into a state of war in which all measures could be employed.

      "One reason -- among many -- that we cannot walk away from the Middle East conflict is that another
      war there could involve weapons of mass destruction," Sen. Joseph Biden, chairman of the Senate
      Foreign Relations Committee, told a conference at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace on
      June 19.

      Officials said the scenarios of a future Middle East war have been discussed with both Egypt and
      Israel. They said both countries agree on likelihood that WMD could be used.

      Israeli military planners have assessed that Iraq would be the key to any Arab use of WMD. The
      Israeli military has prepared plans for Iraqi intervention in any conflict between Syria and the
      Jewish state.

      "We presume that this sort of situation will lead to Iraqi involvement and an intensification of
      Syrian participation in events," a senior Israeli officer told the Israeli military Bamahane weekly.
      "We are proposing a number of steps that would give an answer according to developments."