Clarifying How I Stand On Palestinian Sovereignty

  • MEW
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2003
      washingtonpost.com
      Clarifying How I Stand On Palestinian Sovereignty

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A24675-2003Jun23?language=printe

      Tuesday, June 24, 2003; Page A20

      The choice of headline for my June 20 op-ed article, "A Limited Palestinian
      State," did not accurately reflect my position.

      As stated in the article, I believe that in a final peace agreement the
      Palestinians should be given all the powers that are necessary to govern
      themselves but none of the powers that could threaten Israel.

      There is, to my knowledge, no accepted term in international law for this type
      of nonbelligerent sovereignty. Until there is an accepted term, I prefer not to
      use the word "state," because of the unlimited sovereignty it implies.

      BENJAMIN NETANYAHU

      Jerusalem

      The writer is a former prime minister and the current finance minister of
      Israel.

      © 2003 The Washington Post Company