20th Anniversary of US Hostage Release in Iran

  • Ami Isseroff
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 15, 2001

      Sent: יום שני 15 ינואר 2001 19:34
      Subject: Fwd: 20th Anniversary of US Hostage Release in Iran

      hello every one
      I thought some of you might be interested in this event.
      I personally remember reporting both from Iran ( just a few days after storming the US embassy) and then a couple of visits later.
      Went to Algeria for the release.
      It is interesting to recall such events and try to see how some American actions - with the best of intentions though - aggravated the situation and generated more anti western feelings.
      It also set a precedent for attacking America ( remember the embassy/Marine headquarters in Beirut that followed?,) and the subsequent CIA/Islamists undercover war with tragic consequences.
      It also gives light on Algeria's role at the time ( although Algeria was still not a fully welcomed friend of the west - with France's exception), as there were Islamic trends on an advanced level within the Algerian officialdom. They were useful at the time with contacts in Iran, and later within Afghan Mujahedine, but the price paid was very high.
      Didn't think along those lines of course when I was reporting in Algeria in twenty years ago... but now events are connected - in my mind at least
      Adel

      Adel Darwish,
      Writer on Foreign Affairs
      Editor of World Media Uk, London