Arafat Warns of Israeli Attack

  • grossman@mcs.net
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2001
      http://www.newsday.com/ap/text/topnews/ap128.htm
      Arafat Warns of Israeli Attack
      BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) -- Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat
      claimed Thursday that senior Israeli officials were preparing a
      ''new war'' to paralyze his Palestinian Authority.
      ''I have received a letter saying the (Ariel) Sharon government
      has adopted the principle of a new war against the Palestinian
      people,'' he said in a speech to the upper house of the Belgian
      Parliament.
      ''The goal of the Israeli army in calling a truce is in fact to mobilize the Israeli mass to prepare an atrocious war ... in which
      they will use all military means to paralyze the Palestinian
      Authority,'' Arafat added.
      Arafat was responding to comments from Israeli Infrastructure
      Minister Avigdor Lieberman, a hard-liner in the cabinet of Prime
      Minister Arial Sharon's government, who said Israel should
      immediately reoccupy Palestinian-controlled areas in the West Bank
      and the Gaza Strip.
      ''In the next 48 hours we need to go into all Palestinian areas and destroy the entire infrastructure of the Palestinian Authority,
      destroy the weapons cache of their forces including those of the
      militias,'' Lieberman told Israeli radio.
      Arafat addressed the Belgian Senate on the latest stop on a European tour that had earlier taken him to Russia and Denmark. He
      spoke in Arabic and his comments were relayed by a French
      translator.
      AP-NY-05-31-01 2326EDT<