59435YNET: Grad rockets hit near Netivot, Ofakim

  • News-M
    Feb 1, 2011
      Grad rockets hit near Netivot, Ofakim
      For first time since Egypt riots began, rockets fired from Gaza towards
      south Israel; four suffer shock. 'We're terrified; we have no shelters,'
      resident says

      Ynet reporters Published: 01.31.11, 22:48 / Israel News
      http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4022042,00.html

      Tensions in Egypt appear to be spreading to Gaza: Grad rockets fired from
      the Hamas-ruled territory Monday night landed near the southern Israeli
      cities of Ofakim and Netivot. Also Monday, a Qassam rocket exploded in an
      open area in the Eshkol Regional Council. No injuries or damage were
      reported

      During the rocket attack on Netivot- the first attack on Israel since the
      mass protests against Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak began a week ago –
      four people suffered from shock, and damage was caused to a road and a
      parked car.

      The rocket landed near a residential neighborhood.

      Another Grad hit the Ofakim area a few minutes later, but there were no
      reports of injury or damage.

      "It was terrifying," an Ofakim resident said. "We heard a boom – like a
      nuclear bomb. We thought it was thunder; there was smoke and

      explosions. We're dying of fear that another wave of Grads and Qassams will
      begin. We have no shelters or secure rooms, and the rocket fell about 10
      meters (33 feet) from the houses."

      One of the people who attended a wedding in a small hall near the rocket's
      landing site in the Netivot area said, "There was music, then we suddenly
      hear a loud blast. Everyone - little children and men – ran for cover.
      People fell over one another. It's a miracle no one was hurt."

      Another person who attended the wedding said, "Luckily, the rocket landed
      after the chuppah, while everyone was already eating at the tables. If it
      had landed a few meters closer, this could have been a mass casualty event."

      Rise in activity

      Colonel Eitan Yitzhak, the Home Front's Southern Command chief told Ynet
      that the missile alert systems did not work Monday and added that the army
      has launched an inquiry into the matter. He noted that civilians are
      instructed to continue with routine activity and follow Home Front Command
      guidelines in case of any alert.

      "In the past month there have been a number of events and put together one
      can say there is a rise in activity," he said.

      Meanwhile, Ofakim residents are complaining of a shortage of shelters and
      fortified spaces. Yaffa, who lives near the scene of the explosion, said: "I
      was making a cup of coffee and suddenly heard a blast. It caused me to move
      sideways towards the oven and my window was cracked. I'm traumatized and
      afraid of sleeping. We are at God's mercies, I don't even have a protective
      space here. They need to reenter Gaza and launch another operation."

      Last week two Qassams were fired from Gaza. One rocket landed in an open
      area in the western Negev, while the other apparently landed in an open area
      in Gaza. There were no reports of injury or damage.

      Earlier this month Egypt warned Hamas that the IDF may launch an offensive
      if the rocket attacks on Israel are not halted, as was the case in Operation
      Cast Lead.

      Ilana Curiel and Shmulik Hadad contributed to the report