Moving to Canada, far from the Israeli police

  • Joseph M. Hochstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2004
      Haaretz
      March 1, 2004
      Moving to Canada, far from the Israeli police
      By Yoash Foldesh

      "Bryan, get up! Wake up!" Two months ago, three burly policemen not in
      uniform entered Bryan Atinsky's bedroom in Rehovot after quickly
      brushing past his wife, Efrat, who got up to see who was knocking on the
      door at 6:30 A.M. The three said they had a search warrant. "They didn't
      waste any time and started opening drawers and searching the shelves,
      but they didn't show us any document," says Atinsky, 34.

      "When they finished, they said my computer was confiscated and that I
      must come with them for questioning. Efrat continuously asked what I was
      suspected of, and they said `you tell us.' In the end, I asked if it was
      because of the caricature." And indeed, it was because of the
      caricature.

      Atinsky is one of the volunteer English editorial coordinators of the
      Israeli Web site of the Indymedia network, an international
      anti-globalism organization set up after the protests against the
      International Monetary Fund as it met in Seattle. Like all the other
      branches of Indymedia, the Israeli site, which has been closed for the
      meantime, also enabled surfers to post announcements, articles and
      creations as they wished, alongside reports written by organization
      activists.

      While the major media outlets are subject to the control of several
      stockholders, Indymedia tried to create an alternative medium open to
      the public at large. Its agenda also differed from that of the major
      media outlets: it included, for example, extensive reports on Israel
      Defense Forces operations in the territories and on violence on the part
      of settlers, and of course, attempts to expose the seamier side of big
      corporations.

      "We don't censor anything," says Atinsky, "but the editors have the
      right to erase the link to reports that call directly for violence,
      racist reports, clearly false reports or those that have commercial
      interests behind them. The reports themselves are not erased from the
      servers nor are the responses they elicit, because we believe in
      transparency and freedom of information. In most cases, the intelligent

      On December 19, a Brazilian surfer, called Latuf, took advantage of the
      site's freedom to post a caricature depicting Ariel Sharon
      enthusiastically kissing Adolf Hitler. Following the post, the Police's
      Computer Crime Investigation Unit began an inquiry, with the approval of
      the attorney general, into the possibility of incitement and insulting a
      civil servant.

      In the past, the police investigated several posts on the site and
      summoned its operators for questioning - among others, after another
      caricature posted by Latuf, which depicted Sharon dressed in an SS
      uniform - but this time, the responses surprised Atinsky.

      Two days after the posting of the caricature and after news of the
      inquiry was reported in the media, the Israeli company that provided the
      server on which the site is located was swamped with threats from
      right-wing activists and complaints from users.

      "They told us we had to find a different server," relates Guy West,
      another volunteer editor of the site, "and we had no choice but to take
      down the site. Within a week it was to be up again."

      The next day the police knocked on the door of Atinsky, who is now
      editor of the Israeli-Palestinian magazine News From Within, and took
      him with them to the Computer Crime Investigation Unit offices in Bat
      Yam.

      "In the station, they sat me down outside one of the offices, so I
      should wait for my interrogation," he relates.

      "In the meantime the policemen who'd brought me in joked between them,
      and one of them picked up some sort of metal rod that was lying on the
      floor, waved it in front of me and said `this is what we use to hit
      suspects because it leaves serious bruises.' For him, it may have been a
      joke, but even so it was scary enough. I kept telling them that I wanted
      a lawyer, but they said that only in the United States does such a right
      exist, and that I could contact a lawyer only after the questioning was
      finished."

      Atinsky was questioned for eight hours and only then did the
      interrogators allow him to call a lawyer. "They shouted at me that
      everything written on the site was my responsibility because the domain
      is registered in my name," he says. "They said that the fact that
      surfers can post whatever they want on the site was as if I had left a
      pistol on the table and left the room - even if someone else uses it, it
      would still be my fault. They kept on shouting and said that we have to
      start censoring the site, and that it cannot operate this way. They
      don't understand that freedom of expression doesn't refer to nice things
      that everyone wants to hear, but actually to the right to say hurtful
      things and occasionally also stupid and provocative things."

      At the same time, Guy West, 29, of Herzliya, was also summoned for
      lengthy questioning. "The policemen asked us for all the IP addresses of
      surfers who had entered the site - not of one or two surfers, but all of
      them," he relates. "If the owner of the server had cracked and given it
      to them, they could have used it to monitor all of the organization's
      activists and supporters."

      Three months have elapsed since then. For fear of police investigations,
      the site has still not resumed operations. Nimrod Keret, another
      activist with the organization, arranged not long ago to lease a server
      in Canada, and the site will apparently resume operations in another two
      to three weeks. West and Atinsky have since been repeatedly summoned for
      questioning, and Atinsky's computer has yet to be returned to him. "I've
      been weaned from Indymedia," says Atinsky, "the police succeeded in
      getting what they wanted."

      The police request to censor surfers' responses on the open posting area
      of the Indymedia site and its temporary closure, prompts some tough
      questions about freedom of expression on the Web. "Questioning has long
      been a campaign of pressure and scare tactics and an attempt, without
      the jurisdiction to do so, to restrict freedom of expression," wrote
      Attorney Avner Pinchuk of the Association for Civil Rights in Israel in
      a letter to Attorney General Meni Mazuz.

      The police investigation, according to Pinchuk, is based on a legal
      interpretation that is contrary to views that are accepted in Israel and
      around the world. "A committee set up by the Ministry of Justice
      determined that Internet service providers are not responsible for the
      postings of surfers or site owners," he says. "Even the rulings issued
      thus far around the world and in Israel support this view: the
      inclination is not to try the owners of the Ynet site, for example,
      because of the racist response published in its Talk-back forum."

      In the case of Indymedia, says Pinchuk, the investigators could not get
      to the Brazilian surfer who posted the caricature and therefore they
      chose to investigate the site's operators. "Even if their investigation
      doesn't find anything," he says, "the police have in effect determined
      facts on the ground.

      "Political activists or others who see how Indymedia's operators got in
      trouble will not risk providing an open platform to the public.

      "The result will be that only large corporations, which can employ
      attorneys who will supervise the content posted by surfers, will be able
      to run `open' platforms on their sites. The other sites will not be able
      to take that risk."

      Keret, in the meantime, is working on writing the new code for the site.
      "The site was closed because of the problems they made for Brian and
      Guy," he says. "The Palestinians engage in this kind of harassment all
      the time, and now we have it too. There are fewer and fewer human rights
      in this country and rightists suffer from this as well. Beyond that,
      what is happening here is absurd: the Brazilian surfer posted his
      caricature all over the world, and in the end also posted it on the
      Indymedia site in Israel. In other words, had we erased it, the entire
      world would have seen it and all the Israelis wouldn't have."

      The new site will have two main changes: "First of all, our server will
      be in Canada, far out of reach of the police and the address will not
      end with `il' but with `org,'" says Keret. "Secondly, the mechanism
      enabling surfers to post reports will be different. Surfers will have
      three options: contribute information anonymously, and then it will
      appear in a more modest format that can be erased if it is problematic;
      contribute information in a more prominent location by identifying
      oneself and providing an e-mail address; or setting up a kind of home
      page where everyone can edit the news himself and decide what will be in
      the headline."

      The Israel Police said in response that the police does not comment on
      investigations that have not been completed.