Ahram Online - The runoffs: A Berma dilemma

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012
      Ahram Online - Friday, 01 June 2012

      The runoffs: A Berma dilemma
      The runoffs are what Egyptians call a Berma dilemma - there is no simple
      way out - might the military as an institution be able to offer a way out?
      Ahmed Mahmoud , Wednesday 30 May 2012

      http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContentP/4/43172/Opinion/The-runoffs-A-Berma-dilemma.aspx

      The presidential election results are what Egyptians might calls a
      "Berma dilemma", because they present a conundrum that is perplexing
      many major political forces in the country.

      The Berma dilemma refers to an Egyptian proverb about a tale that
      occurred in a village called Berma in the northern Egyptian Delta. It
      tells the story of an accident when a man that bumped into a woman
      carrying a basket of eggs all of which were broken. He asked her how
      many eggs were in the basket, and she answered him, "if you count by
      three, one will remain, and if you count by four, one will remain and
      the same goes if you count by five or six. But if you count by seven
      nothing will remain." And the man knew that the answer was 301 eggs. A
      Berma dilemma, then, is a situation where the answer is difficult to
      reach and the process is uncertain.

      Much of the country's forces were in a state of partial confusion when
      it came to choosing a preferred presidential candidate, whether Islamic,
      revolutionary or former regime candidates. The confusion has only become
      exacerbated when it comes to the runoffs between Muslim Brotherhood's
      Mohamed Morsi and Hosni Mubarak's last prime minister Ahmed Shafiq.
      Faced with the situation of choosing from what are for many two
      undesirable candidates, the country has been plunged into a "Berma dilemma."

      If people vote for Morsi, this means that people choose the “Muslim
      brotherhood plus one” which is the military institution,

      The FJP have a programme that they say would take 28 years to realise.
      Brotherhood businessman and leading figure Khairat El-Shater would
      probably play a major role. Once this project is completed it would
      enable the Brotherhood and their party to stay in power for at least 100
      years

      On the other hand, if people choose Shafiq then this will mean they have
      chosen the “ex-regime plus one” which is the military institution as
      well. Either option, in other words, brings us back square zero, as if
      there were no martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the sake of the
      liberty of this nation.

      But even if the security institutions do not go back to their old – and
      unacceptable – ways in dealing with the people, there will be the
      problem of the businessmen of the old regime regaining their power and
      influence. This will bring the country back in a vicious circle of the
      marriage between power and money, bringing the people back to the
      situation they were in before the revolution. Or perhaps even a worse
      situation.

      If we consider the matter carefully, however, we will note that it is
      the military as an institution that remains the common player in this
      dilemma. This is natural as the military managed over the past sixty
      years to establish its position in the country and cannot be taken out
      of the formula that easily when it comes to the future of Egypt.
      Moreover, it is an important shield to protect the existence and the
      continuation of the Egyptian state, even if we do manage to turn Egypt
      into a civil state. Whether or not we agree with their procedures, the
      military institution plays an important role in maintaining the
      structure of the state.

      Even if people are willing to swap democracy for the sake of security
      and stability, whether it is Mursi or Shafiq who becomes the country's
      next president, there may well be unrest. That unrest might take the
      form of a revolution, more virulent than what came before, a possible
      clash between different players in the political arena competing for
      money, money and influence. It is this that makes the dilemma
      disturbing, if not frightening, for the vast majority.

      So, what we need to do is seek assurances, not from the presidential
      candidates but from the military institution itself. They are the only
      player now with the ability to solve this dilemma because they have the
      constitutional enactment and the right to issue legislation and
      constitutional declarations. Let’s ask quietly but clearly: isn’t it
      better now and before the runoffs that the military council issues a
      constitutional declaration determining the powers of the incoming president?

      Is that not the guarantee of stability for political life in Egypt,
      regardless of who becomes the next president? And then, the most
      important thing, is this not the guarantee of continuity, stability and
      the means to progress of the state which the military institution has
      the responsibility to maintain?

      This may sound like a naive argument, simply because it's so obvious.
      But didn't we learn in the science of logic that when the issues become
      more complicated, to go back to the logical axioms and basics to find a
      logical solution?

      Here, I am not pushing people to vote or not to vote for a specific
      candidate in the runoff. Rather I raise these questions, so that we all
      think together and try to find a solution to get us out of this crisis
      and to move forward to find a democratic way out of the berma dilemma in
      which we find ourselves.