WPost: Rashad Hussain, a Muslim and new U.S. envoy, is bridge between two worlds

  • Joseph M. Hochstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2010
      The Washington Post

      Rashad Hussain, a Muslim and new U.S. envoy, is bridge between two worlds

      By Scott Wilson
      Monday, March 1, 2010; A19
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/28/AR2010022801912.html

      Rashad Hussain, President Obama's new special envoy to the Organization
      of the Islamic Conference, was an avid high school debater in Plano,
      Tex., where he grew up.

      His debate partner and best friend was a classmate named Josh Goldberg,
      meaning that at the end of many tournaments, the judge would announce
      "Goldberg-Hussain" as the cultural odd couple who had won the argument.
      "People got a kick out of it," Hussain said in a recent interview. "We
      joked that one day we would have the solution to the peace process." The
      two remain close friends.

      In his new position, Hussain, who is both a Koran scholar and an ardent
      North Carolina Tar Heels basketball fan, will be responsible for helping
      to bridge another cultural divide -- the one in U.S. relations with
      Muslims inside and outside the nation's borders.

      Since taking office, Obama has adopted an approach to broaden the ways
      in which the United States engages the Islamic world, moving from a
      policy focused mostly on counterterrorism to one that includes
      partnerships with Muslim countries and communities in education, health,
      science and commerce.

      Hussain, 31, will be the face of that policy in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia,
      where the Islamic Conference has it headquarters, and in the other
      capitals of its 56 member countries. His is an appropriately young face
      for an American representative to the world's 1.6 billion Muslims, the
      majority of whom are younger than he is.

      At a time when the United States is fighting two wars in Muslim nations
      and defending itself against an enduring terrorist threat, changing
      perceptions will take time. "The challenge is to continue to communicate
      that this is a long-term process," Hussain said. "Sometimes the
      challenge becomes that people want to focus exclusively on the political
      issues, issues that this administration is working very diligently to
      solve."

      Hussain's father, a mining engineer, moved from Bihar, India, to Wyoming
      in the late 1960s. A few years later, during a visit to India, he
      married Hussain's mother, now an obstetrician in Plano.

      The family prayed regularly in a mosque not far from the church-heavy
      city. At about the time he began middle school, the Persian Gulf War
      began and, as he recalled, "it was not the easiest time to be named
      Hussain." But he said he encountered very little religious persecution
      during a childhood that featured study, prayer and basketball -- a
      passion he shares with the president. Hussain said it is his "dream" to
      play in one of Obama's pickup games.

      He graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, then
      enrolled at Harvard University to pursue a master's degree in Arabic and
      Islamic studies. An internship after his first year of graduate school
      with Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.) cemented his interest in
      government, and he returned after completing his degree to work on the
      House Judiciary Committee and was there on the morning of the attacks of
      Sept. 11, 2001.

      "I experienced firsthand being evacuated from the building, not knowing
      what was going on, seeing the twin towers burning on TV as soon as I got
      into work, not knowing . . . whether there was a plane heading for the
      Capitol," he said. "I very much experienced the terror on that day myself."

      In the following days, he said, he experienced a "whole set of
      feelings," from the initial fear of attack to worry about discrimination
      against American Muslims. He said he found that compassion, broader than
      the pockets of persecution, is often overlooked by Muslims here and abroad.

      "A lot is made about American misperceptions about Muslim communities,
      but there's a lot of misperceptions that Muslim communities have about
      the United States," he said. To counter such misunderstandings of Muslim
      culture, Hussain cited his wife, whom he said "breaks down a lot of the
      misperceptions of women in Islam." Isra Bhatty, a Yale Law School
      student currently on a Rhodes scholarship, wears the hijab and is an
      epic Chicago Bears fan.

      Hussain left Capitol Hill to attend Yale Law School. While there, he
      criticized the trial of Sami al-Arian, a University of South Florida
      professor, as "politically motivated persecution." Arian was accused of
      aiding the Palestinian Islamic Jihad movement, a U.S.-designated
      terrorist organization. Hussain, who did not criticize the charges
      against Arian, was on a civil liberties panel with Arian's daughter when
      he made the comment. A jury acquitted Arian on some charges and
      deadlocked on others; he eventually pleaded guilty to one count of
      conspiracy.

      "My extensive writings on this topic make it clear that I condemn
      terrorism unequivocally in all its forms," Hussain said. "I'd be happy
      to put that against one sentence from 2004 that I believe was taken out
      of context."

      After the 2008 election, Hussain was recruited to the White House
      counsel's office by Cassandra Butts, a fellow Tar Heel and Obama's
      former Harvard Law classmate. He has worked there on national security
      and new-media issues and helped inform the administration's Muslim
      outreach efforts.

      Ben Rhodes, Obama's chief foreign policy speechwriter, sought Hussain's
      counsel last year as he drafted the president's Cairo address. Hussain
      said his advice concerned the contributions Muslims have made to
      American society and the context behind some of the religious passages.
      Hussain has memorized the Koran. He prays daily, often in a room in the
      Eisenhower Executive Office Building reserved for all faiths.

      Hussain traveled in the Middle East after Obama announced his
      appointment during a Feb. 13 videoconference at the U.S.-Islamic World
      Forum in Doha, Qatar. His approach, Hussain said, will be to emphasize
      to Muslim countries what "America stands for," including through the
      partnerships.

      "It's clear that we're not going to agree on every single issue,"
      Hussain said. "Our job will be to try to maximize our areas of agreement
      and work through our areas of disagreement and come to the best policy."