Strangers in the Land REFLECTIONS ON THE REVOLUTION IN EUROPE Immigration, Islam, and the West

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2009
      August 2, 2009 NYT
      Strangers in the Land
      By FOUAD AJAMI

      http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/books/review/Ajami-t.html?_r=1&8bu&emc=bua1

      REFLECTIONS ON THE REVOLUTION IN EUROPE
      Immigration, Islam, and the West
      By Christopher Caldwell
      422 pp. Doubleday. $30

      A departure and a return: In the legend of Moorish Spain, Boabdil, the
      last Muslim ruler of Granada, is said to have paused on a ridge for a
      final glimpse of the realm he had just surrendered to the Castilians.
      Henceforth, the occasion, and the place, would be known as El Último
      Suspiro del Moro, The Moor’s Last Sigh. The date was Jan. 2, 1492.

      More than five centuries later, on March 11, 2004, there would be a
      “Moorish” return. In the morning rush hour, 10 bombs tore through four
      commuter trains in Madrid, killing more than 200 people and wounding
      some 1,500, in the deadliest terror attack in Europe since World War II.
      This was not quite a Muslim reconquista of the Iberian peninsula, but a
      circle was closed, and Islam was, once again, a matter of Western Europe.

      In his “Reflections on the Revolution in Europe,” Christopher Caldwell,
      a meticulous journalist who writes for The New York Times Magazine and
      other publications, gives this subject its most sustained and thoughtful
      treatment to date. The question of Islam in Europe has occasioned calls
      of alarm about “Eurabia,” as well as works of evasion and apology by
      those who insist Islam is making its peace with European norms.
      Caldwell’s account is subtle, but quite honest and forthright in its
      reading of this history. “Islam is a magnificent religion that has also
      been, at times over the centuries, a glorious and generous culture. But,
      all cant to the contrary, it is in no sense Europe’s religion and it is
      in no sense Europe’s culture,” he writes.

      It hadn’t taken long for Islam to make its new claim on Europe.
      Caldwell’s numbers give away the problem: “In the middle of the 20th
      century,” he tells us, “there were virtually no Muslims in Western
      Europe.” Now there are more than 15 million, including 5 million in
      France, 4 million in Germany and 2 million in Britain.

      The native populations in Western Europe hadn’t voted to have the Turks
      and the Moroccans in Amsterdam, the Kurds in Sweden, the Arabs in London
      and the Pakistanis and Indians in Bradford and West Yorkshire. The
      post-World War II economic boom, and labor shortages, brought the
      immigrants, and they put down roots in their surroundings. In time,
      labor immigration “gave way to refugee immigration and to immigration
      aimed at reunifying (and forming) families. . . . Admitting immigrants
      changed from an economic program to a moral duty.”

      A fault line opened in European society. On one side were those keen to
      keep their world whole and theirs; on the other was elite opinion,
      insisting on the inevitability and legitimacy of the new immigration.
      For their part, the new arrivals, timid at first, grew expansive in the
      claims they made. This was odd: they had fled the fire, and the failure,
      of their ancestral lands, but they brought the fire with them. Political
      Islam had risen on its home turf in the Middle East and North Africa, in
      South Asia, but a young generation in Europe gave its allegiance to the
      new Islamist radicalism. Emancipated women had shed the veil in Egypt
      and Turkey and Iran in the 1920s; there are Muslim women now asserting
      their right to wear the burqa in Paris.

      The European welfare state tempted and aided the new Islamism.
      Two-thirds of the French imams are on welfare. It was hard for
      Europeans, Caldwell writes, to know whether these bold immigrants were
      desperate wards or determined invaders, keen on imposing their will on
      societies given to moral relativism and tolerance. In Caldwell’s apt
      summation, the flood of migration brought with it “militants,
      freeloaders and opportunists.”

      The militants took the liberties of Europe as a sign of moral and
      political abdication. They included “activists” now dreaming of imposing
      the Shariah on Denmark and Britain. There were also warriors of the
      faith, in storefront mosques in Amsterdam and London, openly
      sympathizing with the enemies of the West. And there were
      second-generation immigrants who owed no allegiance to the societies of
      Europe.

      A study by Britain’s House of Commons of the July 7, 2005, bombings
      against London’s Underground caught the hostility of the new Islamism to
      the idea of assimilation, to the principle of nationality itself. Three
      of the four bombers were second-generation British citizens born in West
      Yorkshire. The fourth, who was born in Jamaica and brought to England as
      an infant, was a convert to Islam. Mohammad Sidique Khan, age 30, was
      the oldest of the group. He “appeared to others,” the report notes, “as
      a role model to young people.” Shehzad Tanweer, age 22, was said to have
      led a “balanced life.” He owned a red Mercedes, and enjoyed fashionable
      hairstyles and designer clothing. The evening before the bombings, he
      had played cricket in a local park.

      Years earlier, the legendary theorist of the Islamists, the Egyptian
      Sayyid Qutb, had written of the primacy of Islam: we may carry their
      nationalities, he observed, but we belong to our religion. The
      assailants from West Yorkshire, and the radical Muslims from Denmark
      who, after a Danish newspaper published cartoons of Muhammad in 2005,
      traveled through Islamic lands agitating against the country that had
      given them home and asylum, were witnesses to the truth of Qutb’s dictum.

      “The guest is sacred, but he may not tarry,” Hans Magnus Enzensberger
      writes in a set of remarks that Caldwell cites with approval. Many of
      Europe’s “guests” have overstayed their welcome. They live on the seam:
      the old world of Islam is irretrievable and can no longer contain their
      lives; the new world of modernity is not fully theirs. They agitate
      against the secular civilization of the West, but they are drawn to its
      glamour and its success.

      In the way of exiles, once on safe ground they tell stories about the
      old lands. The telling speaks of Damascus as bathed with light, and the
      sea by Tunis and Algiers and Agadir as a piece of singular beauty. In
      its original habitat, there could be an honest reckoning with Islam. Men
      and women could wrestle with the limits it places on them; they would
      weigh, in that timeless manner, the balance between fidelity to the
      faith and the yearning for freedom. But it isn’t easy in Amsterdam or
      Stockholm. There, the faith is identity, and the faith is complete and
      sharpened like a weapon.

      It wasn’t always so. Little more than four decades ago, when I left
      Lebanon for the United States, I, and others like me, accepted the
      rupture in our lives. I knew there would be no imams and no mosques
      awaiting me in the New World. I was not traveling in quest of all that.
      I was in my late teens, I accepted the “differentness” of the new
      country. News of Lebanon rarely reached me, air travel was infrequent
      and costly, I lost years of my family’s life. I needed no tales of the
      old country.

      Nowadays, air travel is commonplace, satellite television channels from
      Dubai and Qatar reach the immigrants in their new countries, preachers
      and prayer leaders are on the move, carrying a portable version of the
      faith. We are to celebrate this new movement of peoples, even as it
      strips nations of what is unique to them. It goes by the name of
      globalization. It makes those who oppose it seem like nativists at odds
      with the new order of things.

      It is a tribute to Caldwell that he has not oversold this story, that he
      does not see the Muslim immigrants conquering the old continent and
      running away with it. There is poignancy enough in what he tells us. It
      is neither wholly pretty, nor banal, this new tale of Islam in the West.

      Fouad Ajami teaches at the School of Advanced International Studies at
      Johns Hopkins University and is a fellow at the Hoover Institution. He
      is the author of “The Foreigner’s Gift.”