Al-Moallem and Moratinos hold Press Conference

  • News-M
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2007

      Al-Moallem and Moratinos hold Press Conference

      http://www.sana.org/eng/21/2007/07/31/131946.htm

      Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 09:45 PM

      DAMASCUS, (SANA)-Spanish Foreign Minister Miguel Angel Moratinos on Tuesday stressed that Syrian-Spanish bilateral relations go in the correct direction, saying "political dialogue is continuous between the two sides that show commitment to keep joint contacts."

      During a press conference with Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, Moratinos described the economic and trade ties between Syria and Spain as good and they are developing in a way that makes Syrian and Spanish companies do investments in both countries.

      "Talks held in Damascus tackled the latest developments in Lebanon and the future of the region," Moratinos said, adding that he briefed Minister al-Moallem on the outcomes of his latest visit to Lebanon and his discussions with Lebanese parties in an attempt to find a way out of the current crisis.

      He expressed relief of the Syrian support to the Spanish and French efforts regarding the Lebanese dilemma, along with the efforts of Nabih Berri to reach a Lebanese accordance on different issues.

      "My talks in Damascus also dealt with developments of the Palestinian issue," Moratinos went on, underlining that Syria and Spain have always supported the holding of an international conference for peace in the region.

      "Our country sees that there is no substitution of an international peace conference which should be comprehensive, with the participation of Syria, the matter that makes the two sides continue dialogue between them to reach good results that pave the way for this conference," the Spanish Minister noted.

      On the French-Spanish efforts regarding the crisis in Lebanon, Moratinos said "my country supports the French efforts on Lebanon and coordinates with France in this regard."

      For his part, Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem said that Moratinos conveyed a message from Spanish King Juan Carlos to President Bashar al-Assad on bilateral relations between the two countries and the latest developments in the region.

      "The Spanish Minister talks with vice-President Farouk al-Shara and me also tackled bilateral relations and the latest developments in the region, particularly the just and comprehensive peace process in the region, the situation in Lebanon, Iraq and Palestine," al-Moallem added.

      He noted that the talks dealt with the situation in Lebanon, saying " both sides expressed joint understanding on the necessity of reaching Lebanese national accordance and the solution should be Lebanese, and Syria expressed support to the efforts exerted by Spain, as Syria previously expressed support to the French efforts in this direction."

      "We discussed the complicated situation in the occupied Palestinian lands in light of the Israeli continued occupation of the Arab lands," the Minister indicated, stressing that viewpoints were identical on the importance of the achievement of a just and comprehensive peace according to Madrid Conference and the land-for-peace formula.

      "We encouraged the Palestinian parties to conduct a dialogue to ensure the unity of land and the Palestinian peopleĀ… and we discussed the situation in Iraq, stressing the necessity of Iraq's territorial integrity and supporting the current political process there," Minister al-Moallem said.

      On Syria's stance regarding the US President call to convene a peace conference, Minister al-Moallem underlined that Syria in principle supports and participates in an international peace conference that resembles Madrid Conference.

      "Whom he wants to make peace shouldn't rush to a dangerous armament race in the region, and anyone who wishes to be a fair sponsor to the peace process shouldn't be biased to a party and tries to isolate the other in the peace process," The Minister said.

      He added that the aims of such call should be clarified with its basis, the countries which will participate and what are the guarantees of success, noting "it is early to praise this call without knowing its factors."

      Al-Moallem underlined that the US decision to provide Israel with $ 30 billions for armament as additional assistance gives an indication that the US still adopts policies of "constructive chaos" whereas Syria seeks the achievement of security and stability in the region.

      "Syria will support any serious effort to realize peace and stability in the region, but it will face any effort aiming at the liquidation of the Palestinian issue," al-Moallem concluded.

      Mazen