A dishonorable equation

  • News-M
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006
      A dishonorable equation

      By Alan Dershowitz
      http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=757667&contrassID=2&subContrassID=4&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=YRegarding Is that an Islamo-Nazi under the bed?," Haaretz.com, August 24http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/753971.htmlBradley Burston faults me for telling the truth about Hezbollah and Iran:namely that their goal is genocide against the Jews of Israel. In support ofmy claim I quote their own words. One important legacy of the Holocaust isthat we must take seriously the threats of those whose declared aim is themass killing of Jews. It does no service to the memory of those who perishedto ignore current parallels.I make it clear that Nasrallah "currently lacks the capacity to carry out hisgenocide." In that sense there is no comparison to Nazism, but I argue that ifIran were to get a nuclear weapon and use it against Israel, as its leadershave threatened to do, there would be such a parallel.It is Burston who dishonors the victims of the Holocaust by creating a
      moralequivalence between Islamo-fascists, who falsely compare Israel's defensiveactions to Nazism, and those of us who speak the truth about the genocidalgoals of Hezbollah and Iran.If more people had spoken out against Hitler and warned that he promised to doto the Jews what the Turks did to the Armenians, maybe Hitler could have beenstopped. But Burston would have complained that these critics of Hitler weredishonoring the memories of the Armenian victims.I do not purport to "speak in [the] name" of the Holocaust survivors. I speakonly for myself. But Burston purports to be criticizing me "in their name." Idoubt, however, that he represents their diverse views.