SECOND WORLD CONGRESS OF IMAMS AND RABBIS FOR PEACE

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006
      Final statement

      Seville, Spain, March, 22nd 2006, Safar 21, 1427, Adar 22, 5766
      http://www.hommesdeparole.org/

      In the name of the One Creator and Master of the Universe, the
      Compassionate and All Merciful, we Muslim and Jewish leaders and
      representatives, gathered for the Second World Congress of Imams and
      Rabbis for Peace organized by Hommes de Parole in Seville, in the region
      of Andalusia - recalling the past era in which Jews and Muslims lived
      together here in harmony and mutual enrichment - and aspiring for such
      relations today and in the future.

      We accordingly affirm that contrary to widespread misrepresentation,
      there is no inherent conflict between Islam and Judaism, on the
      contrary. While modern politics has regrettably impacted negatively upon
      the relationship, our two religions share the most fundamental values of
      faith in the One Almighty whose name is Peace, who is merciful,
      compassionate and just; and who calls on us human beings to manifest
      these values in our lives and to advance them in relation to all persons
      whose lives and dignity are sacred. Therefore we reiterate the message
      we sent from our first congress, that we deplore bloodshed or violence
      in the name of any ideology everywhere. Especially when such is
      perpetrated in the name of religion it is a desecration of religion,
      itself and the gravest offense against the Holy Name of the Creator.

      Thus, in addition to calling upon all our co-religionists to respect all
      human life, dignity and rights, to promote peace and justice; we call
      upon them and the governments of the world and international
      institutions to show respect for the attachments and symbols of all
      religions, as well as their holy sites, houses of worship and
      cemeteries, particularly in the Holy Land, due to its special sensitivity.

      Accordingly, we condemn any negative representation of these, let alone
      any desecration, Heaven forbid. Similarly, we condemn any incitement
      against a faith or people, let alone any call for their elimination, and
      we urge authorities to do likewise.

      We recognize that there is widespread misrepresentation of our
      religions, - one in the other's community as well as in the world at large.

      We affirm therefore the urgent need for truthful and respectful
      education about each other's faith and tradition in our respective
      communities and schools; and call upon those responsible to promote such
      essential education for peaceful co-existence.

      Solemnly we pledge ourselves to the abovementioned continue to seek out
      one another to build bridges of respect, hope and friendship, to combat
      incitement and hostility, to overcome all barriers and obstacles, to
      reinforce mutual trust, serving the noble goal of universal peace
      especially in the land that is holy to us all.