Re: [Metalcasting] Re: Sandcasting

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 22 8:35 AM
      Sand casting extends over a thousand years pre-period.

      The Romans, (and the Etruscans before them, and the Greeks before
      them, and the Egyptians before them) did bronze, gold, and silver
      casting of extrordinary quality and scope.

      For example: water screws, for bringing the water out of a river and
      "pumping" it up to a higher level for irrigation have been found
      CAST IN ONE PIECE! in egypt and several other middle eastern sites.

      Picture casting a hollow screw shape, maybe a dozen feet long, with
      ancient technology... I sure as hell couldn't do it, and a quite a
      few of our "modern" casting companies couldn't either!

      Here, don't take my word for it - look at these:

      http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues00/mar00/gold.html

      http://www.oup-usa.org/isbn/0892366338.html

      http://classics.furman.edu/~rprior/imgs/RP/RP-121.htm

      http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bycountry/germany/berlin/Altesmuseum/Etruscangold/

      http://www.upenn.edu/museum/Exhibits/kingship.html

      There's plenty more - just search the web. The Idea that modern
      civilization has surpassed the medieval or ancient world is an
      arrogant farce! We can't begin to reproduce some of the works that
      were done hundreds to thousands of years BC. Sure, there are many
      things that technology and science have provided that would never
      have been dreamed, but just the same, we've lost some of the skills
      over the countless years.

      Dafydd

      Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
      http://movies.yahoo.com/
    • Frojel Gotlandica
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 27 10:00 PM
        Ahuh and also a good way to make period type molds, for lost wax masters, for lost wax casting.

        Carve a little wood. A little talcum or vasaline for releaser and bingo.
        Make a few hundred waxes and go beserk

        :-)
        Sandy

        From: Tim Bray
        Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:26:48 -0800

        You know, that would be a good way to produce a fast leaded model for making two piece clay moulds for further casting in bronze, etc. Say for a saucer brooch maybe.

        Couldn't you just make the clay moulds right off a wooden pattern?

        But for modern techniques - a good way to get a white-metal original to make rubber moulds from!

        Cheers,
        Tim

        Fr�jel Gotlandica Viking Re-enactment Society.
        http://www.frojel.com/
        frojel@...