Re: [MetaWeblog-API] Re: Pre-RFC: An API for sequences of photos

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 7 , May 16, 2003
      Is this a question or a comment? -- either way, please elaborate or clarify. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 7 , May 16, 2003
        wrote:
        > Is this a question or a comment? -- either way, please elaborate
        or clarify. Thanks.

        Dave,

        Answer: A question and a comment.

        Clarification: It seems to me that the existing MW API is focused
        (whether by design or happy accident) on manipulating things that
        can end up in an RSS 2.0 feed. The xxxPost() methods look to RSS for
        the members of their structs... getCategories() retrieves
        information that will end up inside a <category> element... even
        newMediaObject() ties in to <enclosure>.

        So IMO, that suggests a rule of thumb for additions to the API. Will
        this new method manipulate data that can be directly expressed in
        RSS 2.0? If not, then it probably belongs in a different API. Image
        sequences amount to another of those things that I think might be a
        nifty idea, just not necessarily a natural fit for the API in
        question.

        Of course, someone could come up with an RSS extension for image
        sequences, short-circuiting my argument:

        <item>
        blah blah
        <somenamespace:imagesequence>
        <somenamespace:image href="http://foo.com/bar.gif" />
        </somenamespace:imagesequence>
        </item>

        I still don't think it would be a particularly good idea for the MW
        API, but it would make more sense to me at that point.

        --
        Roger Benningfield
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 7 , May 16, 2003
          Thanks for the explanation. In the future it would be good to provide the background with the question.

          Actually the connection to RSS 2.0 wasn't initially part of the design of the MetaWeblog API, there was a moment when I realized that what I was designing was basically a re-invention of the RSS 2.0 <item> so I decided to see if it would work to just use RSS 2.0 to define the struct, and happily, it did.

          But there's certainly no requirement that every call in the API be that way. I guess that's the answer to the question you're asking.

          Dave
          > Is this a question or a comment? -- either way, please elaborate
          or clarify. Thanks.

          Dave,

          Answer: A question and a comment.

          Clarification: It seems to me that the existing MW API is focused
          (whether by design or happy accident) on manipulating things that
          can end up in an RSS 2.0 feed. The xxxPost() methods look to RSS for
          the members of their structs... getCategories() retrieves
          information that will end up inside a <category> element... even
          newMediaObject() ties in to <enclosure>.

          So IMO, that suggests a rule of thumb for additions to the API. Will
          this new method manipulate data that can be directly expressed in
          RSS 2.0? If not, then it probably belongs in a different API. Image
          sequences amount to another of those things that I think might be a
          nifty idea, just not necessarily a natural fit for the API in
          question.

          Of course, someone could come up with an RSS extension for image
          sequences, short-circuiting my argument:

          <item>
          blah blah
          <somenamespace:imagesequence>
          <somenamespace:image href="http://foo.com/bar.gif" />
          </somenamespace:imagesequence>
          </item>

          I still don't think it would be a particularly good idea for the MW
          API, but it would make more sense to me at that point.

          --
          Roger Benningfield

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • steve zellers
          Message 4 of 7 , May 16, 2003
            <delurk>

            On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 8:45 AM, Dave Winer wrote:
            > But there's certainly no requirement that every call in the API be
            > that way [smz: an element of an RSS 2.0 <item>.] I guess that's the
            > answer to the question you're asking.

            I realize that this was a pre-RFC, but I think Roger brings up a good
            point. It sounds to me like as a matter of policy, new methods should
            include commentary on how they are related to, or represented by, RSS
            2.0 elements or extensions.

            </delurk>

            --smz

          • Lavandowska
            Message 5 of 7 , May 16, 2003
              --- Dave Winer <dave@...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the explanation. In the future it would be good to provide
              > the background with the question.

              I knew what he was getting at right off.

              > Actually the connection to RSS 2.0 wasn't initially part of the
              > design of the MetaWeblog API, there was a moment when I realized that
              > what I was designing was basically a re-invention of the RSS 2.0
              > <item> so I decided to see if it would work to just use RSS 2.0 to
              > define the struct, and happily, it did.
              >
              > But there's certainly no requirement that every call in the API be
              > that way. I guess that's the answer to the question you're asking.

              Goodie, than we can have the User Management calls that Rogers
              Cadenhead proposed? ;-)

              Lance

              http://search.yahoo.com