mnemonics and mental calculation

  • mnempi
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 27, 2013
      On www.likanas.de I now offer two books written in English language which may concern some of you.

      (1) HOW TO COMPUTE KEY CALENDAR DATES - CHRISTIAN AND JEWISH - BY MENTAL CALCULATION

      You find this book on www.likanas.de > Das Jahr im Kopf

      The book deals with the mathematics of the Christian and Jewish calendars analyzed from the point of view of mental calculation.
      The thesis is that this way of looking at things should be useful for the historian on the one hand, and for the mnemonist on the other (not to speak of the mental calculator).

      (2) PAUL OF MIDDELBURG AND THE 437-YEAR PERIOD.

      You find this book on www.likanas.de > Chronologie. There are also two books written in German language. All these books are related to the attempt to analyze the calendar from the point of view of mental calculation and mnemonics.

      Paul of Middelburg was a Flemish scholar who lived from 1446 to 1534 and was famous at his time as an astrologer, mathematician and expert for the calendar. On the Lateran Council (1512 - 1517) he tried to reform the calendar, but did not succeed. I discovered that Paul had already given a simple and convincing answer to a crucial problem that had remained unsolved until our prsent time. The result is this book. I lectured about it on the 4th International Conference on the Science of Computus in Ieland and Europe, Galway 2012.