Relationships between powers?

  • Retothejuggler
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
      This one still puzzles me:

      "For example, knowing perfectly squares and cubes, he started to grasp the relationships between powers and used this memorised knowledge to learn how to raise numbers to new powers."

      What parts of numbers would you choose?

      Greetings from Switzerland

      Reto
    • A.W.A.P. Bouman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 19, 2013
        Good afternoon Reto,

        Although I am no clairvoyant, I have the feeling that the following is
        meant, and who is concerned : there is a clear structure in the numbers when
        powering. Let's take 3 and restrict ourselves to the 2 last digits when
        powering. Then we get: 01, 03, 09, 27 81, 43, 29, 87, 61, 83, 49, 47, 41,
        23, 69, 07, 21, 63, 89, 67 and again: 01, 03. So afer having built up some
        experience one can feel what will come when powering and this can be very
        helpful .

        Kindest regards,

        Willem Bouman

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 20, 2013
          Hello Willem

          Thanks for your input. I guess there is another interesting fact, some numbers are coming up again and again but this only holds true for numbers ending in 5.

          The regular two digit endings do not come to regular left side begnnings, though :-).

          Kinders regards

          Reto

          --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "A.W.A.P. Bouman" wrote:

          > Good afternoon Reto,
          >

          > Although I am no clairvoyant, I have the feeling that the following is
          > meant, and who is concerned : there is a clear structure in the numbers when
          > powering. Let's take 3 and restrict ourselves to the 2 last digits when
          > powering. Then we get: 01, 03, 09, 27 81, 43, 29, 87, 61, 83, 49, 47, 41,
          > 23, 69, 07, 21, 63, 89, 67 and again: 01, 03. So afer having built up some
          > experience one can feel what will come when powering and this can be very
          > helpful .
          >

          > Kindest regards,
          >

          > Willem Bouman

        • dacastro93
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2013
            Hi, Mr. Reto,

            He said in one of his videos that some number have these strange properties. One example is 18^12 that starts with 34^2 = 1156. I think that if we start looking deep into the numbers, we will find a lot of patterns, which would help us with the memorization process.

            Cheers,

            Daniel