About Freddy's Records

  • Yusnier Viera
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
      Hi everybody,

      First of all congratulations to my friend Freddy for his new Calendar
      records. I have one question for the "One Century" category... is it
      possible to type the answer instead of write the answer? I did not see
      Freddy's performance trying the record so I don't know if he wrote the
      answer on a paper or if he typed the answer in the PC.

      If someone knows please let me know.

      Thanks.

      --
      Yusnier Viera
      cell: (786)712-4787

    • Nodas Boukovalas
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 21, 2010
        Hello there Yusnier,and congrats once more for the Calendar Gold Medal.

        I saw Freddy making official world record attempts
        on the evening of Saturday 5 June and again,
        on Monday 7th June 2010 at Magdeburg.
        I remember that he only used the K-train and Memoriad programs in order to achieve those records. Thus, no paper/pen involved at all.

        Other competitors can confirm that information as well.

        Nodas Boukovalas

        --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody,
        >
        > First of all congratulations to my friend Freddy for his new Calendar
        > records. I have one question for the "One Century" category... is it
        > possible to type the answer instead of write the answer? I did not see
        > Freddy's performance trying the record so I don't know if he wrote the
        > answer on a paper or if he typed the answer in the PC.
        >
        > If someone knows please let me know.
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Yusnier Viera
        > cell: (786)712-4787
        > yusnierv@...
        > www.yusnierviera.com

      • priyanshi somani
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 25, 2010
          Hi Yusnier,He had typed and not written. All the best to you. I hope you break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 25, 2010
            Good evening Priyanshi. Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on your amazing performance in Magdeburg. I was wondering if there is any possibility we might see you at the World Championship too? It is being held in London on August 26th as part of the Mind Sports Olympiad. Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to say more about it - or you can check the website at www.boardability.com. Do please give it a thought. Regards, George Lane.

          • office@werbeka.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 25, 2010
              Hello again,

              I am very sorry, but my (mental) computer just encountered a bug. The
              URL to my mathletics-page should end on .php and not on .htm -
              therefore it should be

              http://www.werbeka.com/mathleti/mathlet/mathletd.php

              I would nevertheless enjoy it very much, if you would give it a try,
              so that there were some "real good" results on the highscorelist.

              My best wishes to you once more...
              Bernhard Kauntz
            • wholphin48
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 26, 2010
                George, The UK is hardly a small step from India. I would bet that if your tournament could pay for travel, you might get a lot of us to come :)

                Jerry Newport

                --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane <george972453@...> wrote:

                > Good evening Priyanshi. Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on your amazing performance in Magdeburg. I was wondering if there is any possibility we might see you at the World Championship too? It is being held in London on August 26th as part of the Mind Sports Olympiad. Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to say more about it - or you can check the website at www.boardability.com. Do please give it a thought. Regards, George Lane.
                >
                > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:15 BST priyanshi somani wrote:
                >
                > >Hi Yusnier,He had typed and not written. All the best to you. I hope you break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi

              • Nathan Fields (Nth BarFields)
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 26, 2010
                  Do a bake sale!

                  --Nathan (Nth)
                  "The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. (John F. Kennedy)"

                  ________________________________
                  George, The UK is hardly a small step from India. I would bet that if your tournament could pay for travel, you might get a lot of us to come :)

                  Jerry Newport

                  --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane <george972453@...> wrote:

                  > Good evening Priyanshi. Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on your amazing performance in Magdeburg. I was wondering if there is any possibility we might see you at the World Championship too? It is being held in London on August 26th as part of the Mind Sports Olympiad. Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to say more about it - or you can check the website at www.boardability.com. Do please give it a thought. Regards, George Lane.
                  >
                  > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:15 BST priyanshi somani wrote:
                  >
                  > >Hi Yusnier,He had typed and not written. All the best to you. I hope you break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi

                • George Lane
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                    Hmm... I'll put it to the rest of the group, but I'm not sure it would raise enough funds.

                    "The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. (John F. Kennedy)"

                    ________________________________
                    George, The UK is hardly a small step from India. I would bet that if your tournament could pay for travel, you might get a lot of us to come :)

                    Jerry Newport

                    --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane <george972453@...> wrote:

                    > Good evening Priyanshi. Firstly, my heartiest congratulations on your amazing performance in Magdeburg. I was wondering if there is any possibility we might see you at the World Championship too? It is being held in London on August 26th as part of the Mind Sports Olympiad. Please feel free to drop me a line if you'd like me to say more about it - or you can check the website at www.boardability.com. Do please give it a thought. Regards, George Lane.
                    >
                    > On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:15 BST priyanshi somani wrote:
                    >
                    > >Hi Yusnier,He had typed and not written. All the best to you. I hope you break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi

                  • A.W.A.P. Bouman
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                      Well dear fellow calculators,

                      Please tell me to which tournament you can travel free of charge. And if so, yes a lot of people, qualified or not, would surely come.

                      Regards,

                      Willem Bouman

                    • office@werbeka.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                        Hello George,

                        it might happen that I am in London at the end of August - and then it
                        would be a pleasure to participate in the World Championship - it
                        would be nice to meet some biggies, and maybe I could give them a
                        match for a place amongst the top ten in addition...

                        I have seen the date for Mental Calculation being Aug. 26th, but no
                        further explanation about exact times, rules, etc. Could you, please,
                        notify me, when there is more information available?

                        Let me also put a word in favour of Mathletics on my homepage. It is
                        pure calculation - but the results are translated into track and field
                        results. The idea behind is mainly to make people understand that a
                        world record in Mental Calculation is as good as a world record in
                        high jump or 100 m...

                        The page is only available in German - but it is just about numbers,
                        so there is no understanding necessary, other than that Dreisprung is
                        Triple jump, Stabhochsprung is Pole Vault, etc.

                        You find it at http://www.werbeka.com/mathleti/mathlet/mathletd.php

                        I hope to see you in a couple of months - until then my best wishes
                        Bernhard
                      • A.W.A.P. Bouman
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                          Dear Mr Werbeka,

                          of course irt can be that I do something wrong, but your system is reacting very slowly on my answers.

                          What to do after an answer? Return? Space bar?
                          I have no idea.

                          Regards,

                          Wllem Bouman

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                            Willem, That is true but it is much easier for most people on this list to get to tournaments held in Europe or thereabouts than for me or people from ASIA. I had to find a group in the states to sponsor me. Otherwise, even with the generous cash prize I won, I would have been set back at least a thousand between airfare, lost work time etc.

                            Jerry Newport

                            --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "A.W.A.P. Bouman" <awap.bouman@...> wrote:

                            > Well dear fellow calculators,
                            >
                            > Please tell me to which tournament you can travel free of charge. And if so, yes a lot of people, qualified or not, would surely come.
                            >
                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Willem Bouman

                          • Gerald Newport
                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                              Nathan, It is not nice to trivilalize my concern. I have to support my family and pay other bills before I think of travel to anywhere, let alone almost halfway across the world, giving up a week's income as well. Think about it.

                              Jerry Newport

                              To: MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                                Gerald,

                                I don't trivialize.

                                A school in my area raised $3,100 through a bake sale for orphans.
                                http://blog.islamicreliefusa.org/2010/05/california-school-children-raise-money.html

                                Here are other schools who raised anywhere from $1,200 to $60,000 by thinking outside the box rather than accepting their "fate."
                                http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3752354

                                Take my suggestion or leave it, that's fine. But don't assume the worst of me. I'll do the same regarding you.

                                Regards,

                                --Nathan (Nth)
                                "It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. (Chinese proverb)"

                                ________________________________

                                To: MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com

                              • office@werbeka.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                                  Dear Mr. Bouman,

                                  thank you for your feedback.
                                  Yes - after a full answer you have to press Return. In high jump and
                                  pole vault you have even to use "<- (arrow to the left)" after
                                  answering every row, if you are calculating from left to right. But
                                  that is the same for all contestants and actually doesn't influence
                                  the ranking order.

                                  Then, of course, it works over the internet, which can vary a little
                                  in speed. It is as in a 100 m run, sometimes you have the wind in the
                                  back and sometimes against. But there are still world records set on
                                  100 m.

                                  If you try a couple of times, the possible variation in speed will be
                                  excluded, unless you have a very slow connection. Then it would be a
                                  real handicap. In all other cases I think it is rather fair for most
                                  people. Of course it isn't any supervised contest, where all the
                                  contestants get the same figures to answer. But a 100 m run isn't
                                  either, as I said before.

                                  Ik wens jou nog veel plezier in Mathletics en dat je nog vele records
                                  mag breken!

                                  Met beste groeten
                                  Bernhard (Kauntz) - "Werbeka" :-)

                                  Quoting "A.W.A.P. Bouman" <awap.bouman@...>:

                                  > Dear Mr Werbeka,
                                  >
                                  > of course irt can be that I do something wrong, but your system is
                                  > reacting very slowly on my answers.
                                  >
                                  > What to do after an answer? Return? Space bar?
                                  > I have no idea.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Wllem Bouman

                                • George Lane
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 27, 2010
                                    Mr Newport: It is, as you so rightly say, not nice to trivialise a concern. Such as running an international mind sports event. Money is indeed important, but it is not the be-all-and-end-all of everything. Perhaps, rather than portray an event that you have never attended in such a negative frame, you might like to stop & consider the prestige of the title of World Champion. Like those who travel from Singapore, Korea, Australia, and yes, even India. These competitors know there is little or no money to be won, yet still they come. More often than not, they come in the knowledge that there is no title at stake. If you are unable to post a message in a more positive light then I suggest you seriously consider posting nothing. Regards, George Lane - four times Mental Calculations World Champion.

                                    On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:43 BST Gerald Newport wrote:

                                    > Nathan, It is not nice to trivilalize my concern. I have to support my family and pay other bills before I think of travel to anywhere, let alone almost halfway across the world, giving up a week's income as well. Think about it.
                                    >

                                    > Jerry Newport
                                    >

                                    >To: MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com
                                    >From: nth_fields@...
                                    >Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 16:57:55 -0700
                                    >Subject: Re: [Mental Calculation] About Freddy's Records
                                    >

                                    >Do a bake sale!
                                    >
                                    >--Nathan (Nth)
                                    >"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. (John F. Kennedy)"
                                    >
                                    >________________________________

                                  • wholphin48
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 28, 2010
                                      George,

                                      I just won a world championship category myself. It is easy for you to fault me when your event is in your own backyard. You couldn't even make it to Germany but you fault me for bringing up the cost of going to these events from places like my home and India.

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 28, 2010
                                        Nathan,

                                        Fair enough.

                                        Jerry

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 28, 2010
                                          If I may, I don't think the issue is about one not attending or about holding records, but rather it's about painting an issue as though it's someone else's problem when it is not. I think George's point is many people are in your shoes, but figure out a way to fix the matter rather than complaining to others as though it's their responsibility to fix it for them, or they just don't go without faulting others. Doing so would trivialize just how hard (including financially) it is for someone to organize a competition like this. I, for instance, will not be able to attend because of financial reasons too. No biggie. I just plan for the next one.

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 29, 2010
                                            Dear George Sir,
                                            Hope everything is fine at your end. I have no plans to be in London as i am busy with school studies.
                                            Regard,Priyanshi
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 30, 2010
                                              Good morning Priyanshi (perhaps 'good afternoon' in your part of the world).

                                              Yes, I rather thought that you might not be able to make another trip. Not to worry; maybe another year. We are still intending to run our event here in Britain for some time to come!

                                              In the meantime, may I wish you the best of luck with your studies.

                                              Warmest regards,

                                              George Lane

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jul 12, 2010
                                                Hi,

                                                As everybody know I am very happy for my victory in the Calendar Dates
                                                competition in Magdeburg. However a while ago I noticed something that was
                                                unfair from my point of view and I started a talk with Ralf who has been
                                                doing an excellent and hard work for Mental Calculation. The problem was
                                                related with Freddy's attempts in the last Mental Calculation World Cup. For
                                                the "One Century" category the rules first said that it is NOT allowed to
                                                type the answer, only speaking or written was allowed. After I told Ralf he
                                                told me that he would change the rules. After that I also noticed that the
                                                time for the record in One Century was 12.72 seconds and this time was the
                                                result of a computer program instead of the use of TWO stopwatches as rule #
                                                7 indicate. Ralf apologizes with me one more time, but I insist... is this
                                                fair? I was not able to break this record before because of these old rules
                                                that did not allowed to type the answer and now these old rules doesn't
                                                exist anymore. I do not understand why this is happening. If we want to
                                                change the rules that is ok for me but at least all the competitors should
                                                be notified. Results: I was the last one to know that you could type the
                                                answer instead of writing. Everybody knows that if you type the answer that
                                                is faster than speaking or writing. A great calculator like Freddis could
                                                only do 37 dates writing the answers and his record was 74 = 2*37. In any
                                                case, since Ralf doesn't accept my appeal I do not have any other choice
                                                that to try to break the record again. Fortunately the rules are the same
                                                for me now :)

                                                Please my friends, wish me good luck!

                                                Regards,
                                                Yusnier.

                                                On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:15 AM, priyanshi somani <
                                                priyanshi_somani@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Yusnier,He had typed and not written. All the best to you. I hope you
                                                > break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi
                                                >
                                                > --- On Tue, 22/6/10, Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@...<yusnierv%40gmail.com>>
                                                > wrote:
                                                >
                                                > From: Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@... <yusnierv%40gmail.com>>
                                                > Subject: [Mental Calculation] About Freddy's Records
                                                > To: MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com<MentalCalculation%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                > Date: Tuesday, 22 June, 2010, 12:10 AM
                                                >

                                                > Hi everybody,
                                                >
                                                > First of all congratulations to my friend Freddy for his new Calendar
                                                >
                                                > records. I have one question for the "One Century" category... is it
                                                >
                                                > possible to type the answer instead of write the answer? I did not see
                                                >
                                                > Freddy's performance trying the record so I don't know if he wrote the
                                                >
                                                > answer on a paper or if he typed the answer in the PC.
                                                >
                                                > If someone knows please let me know.
                                                >
                                                > Thanks.
                                                >
                                                > --
                                                >
                                                > Yusnier Viera
                                                >
                                                > cell: (786)712-4787
                                                >
                                                > yusnierv@... <yusnierv%40gmail.com>
                                                >
                                                > www.yusnierviera.com

                                                Yusnier Viera
                                                cell: (786)712-4787
                                                yusnierv@...
                                                www.yusnierviera.com

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jul 13, 2010
                                                  Hello Yusnier,

                                                  even if I do understand your disappointment, sometimes rules are
                                                  changed in competitions. And somebody has to be first to compete with
                                                  the new rules.
                                                  When the Football Assoziation changed it to have three substitutes
                                                  instead of two (long ago, yes), it was no use for the runners-up in
                                                  any league to complain that they would have been champions, if the
                                                  rule had been applied one year earlier...
                                                  Or the change of the weight of the javelin. The old silvermedal winner
                                                  at the Olympics couldn't complain either, that the change came too late.

                                                  So, good luck in your coming attempts, show the world, what you go
                                                  for, when typing is allowed.
                                                  You can always get some training in using the computer on my
                                                  Mathletics-pages...
                                                  www.werbeka.com/mathleti/mathlet/mathlet.php

                                                  My best wishes
                                                  Bernhard

                                                  Quoting Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@...>:

                                                  > Hi,
                                                  >
                                                  > As everybody know I am very happy for my victory in the Calendar Dates
                                                  > competition in Magdeburg. However a while ago I noticed something that was
                                                  > unfair from my point of view and I started a talk with Ralf who has been
                                                  > doing an excellent and hard work for Mental Calculation. The problem was
                                                  > related with Freddy's attempts in the last Mental Calculation World Cup. For
                                                  > the "One Century" category the rules first said that it is NOT allowed to
                                                  > type the answer, only speaking or written was allowed. After I told Ralf he
                                                  > told me that he would change the rules. After that I also noticed that the
                                                  > time for the record in One Century was 12.72 seconds and this time was the
                                                  > result of a computer program instead of the use of TWO stopwatches as rule #
                                                  > 7 indicate. Ralf apologizes with me one more time, but I insist... is this
                                                  > fair? I was not able to break this record before because of these old rules
                                                  > that did not allowed to type the answer and now these old rules doesn't
                                                  > exist anymore. I do not understand why this is happening. If we want to
                                                  > change the rules that is ok for me but at least all the competitors should
                                                  > be notified. Results: I was the last one to know that you could type the
                                                  > answer instead of writing. Everybody knows that if you type the answer that
                                                  > is faster than speaking or writing. A great calculator like Freddis could
                                                  > only do 37 dates writing the answers and his record was 74 = 2*37. In any
                                                  > case, since Ralf doesn't accept my appeal I do not have any other choice
                                                  > that to try to break the record again. Fortunately the rules are the same
                                                  > for me now :)
                                                  >
                                                  > Please my friends, wish me good luck!
                                                  >
                                                  > Regards,
                                                  > Yusnier.
                                                • Nodas
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jul 15, 2010
                                                    Hello Yusnier,

                                                    Indeed the rules given in :
                                                    ' http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/dates.html '
                                                    were not followed exactly, in Freddis' case that we all saw in Magdeburg.

                                                    However, even with his total use of keyboard, these were still great World Records. It seems amazing to me, that the Memoriad program has to be remade because Freddis almost reached the maximum record capacity of the calendar dates ( 74/75).

                                                    Also because printing so many papers with random-generated dates for constant trials is not eco-friendly, I think it is wise that the rules have changed. We can call it a shift to a digital era!

                                                    Plus, best of luck with your new tries for more records. The Calendar Dates records level is so high that further improvements seem stunning and exciting.

                                                    Best regards,

                                                    Nodas

                                                  • Yusnier Viera
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jul 15, 2010
                                                      Hi Nodas,

                                                      I am agree with the changes in the rules. The only thing that was not fair
                                                      is the fact of starting apply the rules the day that Freddy decide to
                                                      attempt the record. The day before Freddis attempt the rule said you could
                                                      only speak or write the answer. In my opinion, the most probable fact here
                                                      is that the jury did not check the rules and then after Freddis broke the
                                                      record typing the answer they decide to allow typing the answer. This is
                                                      just my point of view, maybe I am wrong, only Ralf can tell if I am right or
                                                      wrong.

                                                      Regards,
                                                      Yusnier.

                                                      On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Nodas <nodas1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                                      > you
                                                      > > > break his record. All the best.RegardsPriyanshi
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > --- On Tue, 22/6/10, Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@...<yusnierv%40gmail.com
                                                      > >>
                                                      > > > wrote:
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > From: Yusnier Viera <yusnierv@... <yusnierv%40gmail.com>>
                                                      >
                                                      > > > Subject: [Mental Calculation] About Freddy's Records
                                                      > > > To: MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com<MentalCalculation%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                      > <MentalCalculation%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                      >
                                                      > > > Date: Tuesday, 22 June, 2010, 12:10 AM
                                                      > > >

                                                      > > > Hi everybody,
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > First of all congratulations to my friend Freddy for his new Calendar
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > records. I have one question for the "One Century" category... is it
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > possible to type the answer instead of write the answer? I did not see
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > Freddy's performance trying the record so I don't know if he wrote the
                                                      > > >
                                                      > > > answer on a paper or if he typed the answer in the PC.

                                                      Yusnier Viera
                                                      cell: (786)712-4787
                                                      yusnierv@...
                                                      www.yusnierviera.com