World records?

  • jsh.flynn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
      Dear all,

      Is 79889679*69984778 really of the same difficulty as 23144561*45510343?
      If anyone wants to do a world record for 8 by 8s then it should
      definitely be an average of a set of problems. Or is there some way to
      generate a random yet 'average' single problem?

      -Jsh
    • JohnLouis Louis
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
        No, In my case the 2nd one is much easier and takes less time and the probability of going wrong is also less.

        For world record - avg of set of problems may be right way.

        John Louis

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hi guys,

          I'd like to add my name to the list of those who say that such a world record should refer to an average (or total) of a group of tasks. This would also put it in line with the determination of days for dates.

          One question: If a large number of tasks has to be unndertaken, how would the record be referred to? I suggest a minimum of 90% correct answers from a minimum 50 problems, with the average time per correct answer (NOT per problem) be quoted.

          Any thoughts on this?

          Cheers,

          George

          p.s. I'm still working on typing up that MC grading proposal - I don't get much computer time.

          No, In my case the 2nd one is much easier and takes less time and the probability of going wrong is also less.

          For world record - avg of set of problems may be right way.

          John Louis

          Is 79889679*69984778 really of the same difficulty as 23144561*45510343?

          If anyone wants to do a world record for 8 by 8s then it should

          definitely be an average of a set of problems. Or is there some way to

          generate a random yet 'average' single problem?

          -Jsh

          Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger. yahoo.com/ invite/

        • A.W.A.P. Bouman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2008
            Dear Josh,

            My answer on your queston is that - in my opinion - the first question is more difficult than the second one. I adstruct as follows.

            As I know all the 2×2 multiplications by heart, I do multiplications in groups of 2 digits. I always did and do not like to traine with 1 digit at a time, this will surely confuse me.

            The heaviest part form the 4 multiplications - cross method of course - and adding the results of 78×79, 6162 + 69×79, 5451, 84×97, 8148 + 88 × 47, 4136, 23 897 to be increased by the hundreds of the multiplication just before.

            The second one: 43×23, 989, +45×61, 2745, +03×14, 42 + 51 ×45, 2295, 6071 + to be increased by the hundreds of the multiplication just before.

            I have my questions made by a random generator.

            Regards,

            Willem Bouman