Re: [Mental Calculation] Specialties

  • George Lane
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2008
      Hi all,

      Firstly an apology. In my message yesterday I may inadvertantly have given the impression of belittling Wiilem Bouman's ability to name the four consecutive prime factors of a sixteen digit number. This was not my intention and I do not wish this to be perceived as such.

      I have realised in the meantime that there are other forms of (relatively simple) calculating operations which remain to be 'mastered'. For instance, there are the 'ratio calculations' which were introduced into competitive calculating in the World Cup of 2004. The basic idea is that a problem is rpesented in the manner of "A:B = C:D", with three of the numbers being given and the other needing to be identified. This is essentially a multiplication/division combination.

      An alternative form of problem is one of my own device. 'Bracketed equations' can employ memory, but other techniques can be used in order to side-step this requirement. Here's the basic idea: Two sets of brackets are presented, each containing two numbers to be added together. Once these operations have been performed, the two results are multiplied to give the final result. An example: (15 + 29) x (31 + 14). 15+29=44, 31+14=45, and 44x45=1980. The final answer to the problem is thus 1980. These problems are smiple enough at the level I have given here, but they are not so simple when the numbers have four digits each.

      Any comments/opinions?

      Regards

      George

      From: A.W.A.P. Bouman <awap.bouman@ casema.nl>
      To: MentalCalculation@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, 10 September, 2008, 1:26 PM

      Dear Jsh,

      You should have heard me laughing, I still do!!!!

      I am honoured a little bit too much: it is factorising a 16 digit number composed by 4 consecutive prime numbers.

      Don't worrie: there will always be something to conquer

      George Lane can do huge divisions, I like to confirm that, nevertheless I doubt whether Rüdiger can do the same.

      For me a very important criterium is versatility in operations. Therefore I give you some names of calculators not named in your message of which I personally could ascertain their versatility.
      Alfabetically and surely not complete: Robert Fountain, Gert Mittring, Andrew Robertshaw.

      As in a tournament always is a restriction in the total of operations it seems me to be impossible to conclude who is really the best of all.

      For me it is very meaningful to be a part of the company of calculators, with whom I can interchange ideas, and that after 45 years "solitude in calcualtion" .

      Regards,

      Willem Bouman