Newcomer - layman :-)

  • werbeka
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 10:14 AM
      I always thought that I was rather good att mental calculation, before
      I saw, what you guys do att the championships... :-)
      Anyhow, I "dared" to subscribe to this group - and here I am.

      "I" is a 60 year old Austrian, living in Sweden for most of his life,
      who always has been fascinated by figuers. It started in the third or
      fourth grade, when I started to divide the numbers on the licence
      plates of the cars, to find out the (I don't know what it is in
      English) least common nominator(?). Just for fun.

      And that way it was. I could astonish my surroundings doing some quick
      calculations - but they were far from really difficult ones. Later on,
      in the 80's, I programmed the computer, simulating track and field
      athletics with calculation. I did that in BASIC... :-) This mainly to
      make my kids (I have five of them) to do some training. But I must
      admit, that we had heavy fights in the decmathlon - and I never got
      over it, that my second son held the record with ONE point better than
      my best result... :-)

      Pitifully my programming skills are not good enough to put all that
      stuff online, so there are at the moment only 110 m hurdles, 100 m and
      400 m ... And it is only in German and Swedish.

      I know,of course, that this isn't the one and only truth, as you have
      to learn to use the numerical keyboard quickly as well - but if you
      want to try my (rudimental) Mathletics, you are very welcome. Go to
      www.werbeka.com/gallerd.htm (German version) and choose Mathletics.

      Layman or not, I intend to pry a little into the things you do here in
      this group and maybe pick up one or the other nice idea and learn a
      few new things, even if I must admit, that I don't understand half of
      the math you are using...

      Looking forward to a boost of my mental calculation!
      Bernhard
    • werbeka
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 5:51 PM
        Well, I got the idea of calender calculation. Schiller, the German
        poet, died on a Friday... :-) And I suppose, that I with some practice
        could manage a couple of examples within a minute. But how can one
        reach 40 in that time, there is barely time enough to write the
        answers of so many? But anyhow, I'll remember the trick... :-)

        Addition didn't frighten me too much, I think that I could do quite a
        couple of them within the time limit. The trouble is, that it isn't
        calculation only, but one has to memorize an eleven digit number. Or
        are you allowed to write the number from the left, while caculating?

        Square roots - yes... Given some training I should manage quite a
        couple of digits from the beginning. One should be able to guess the
        first two digits, if nothing else.

        But then: multiplication. How do you do it? How is it even possible to
        do it? Again of course, part of it means memorizing all those figuers.
        Is there any shortcut?

        I suppose that you get quite tired of all those newbies asking the
        same questions - but I did read all the other messages without finding
        the answer.

        So, please, somebody. Thank you.
        Bernhard

        --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "werbeka" <office@...> wrote:

        > I always thought that I was rather good att mental calculation, before
        > I saw, what you guys do att the championships... :-)
        > Anyhow, I "dared" to subscribe to this group - and here I am.
        >
        > "I" is a 60 year old Austrian, living in Sweden for most of his life,
        > who always has been fascinated by figuers. It started in the third or
        > fourth grade, when I started to divide the numbers on the licence
        > plates of the cars, to find out the (I don't know what it is in
        > English) least common nominator(?). Just for fun.
        >
        > And that way it was. I could astonish my surroundings doing some quick
        > calculations - but they were far from really difficult ones. Later on,
        > in the 80's, I programmed the computer, simulating track and field
        > athletics with calculation. I did that in BASIC... :-) This mainly to
        > make my kids (I have five of them) to do some training. But I must
        > admit, that we had heavy fights in the decmathlon - and I never got
        > over it, that my second son held the record with ONE point better than
        > my best result... :-)
        >
        > Pitifully my programming skills are not good enough to put all that
        > stuff online, so there are at the moment only 110 m hurdles, 100 m and
        > 400 m ... And it is only in German and Swedish.
        >
        > I know,of course, that this isn't the one and only truth, as you have
        > to learn to use the numerical keyboard quickly as well - but if you
        > want to try my (rudimental) Mathletics, you are very welcome. Go to
        > www.werbeka.com/gallerd.htm (German version) and choose Mathletics.
        >
        > Layman or not, I intend to pry a little into the things you do here in
        > this group and maybe pick up one or the other nice idea and learn a
        > few new things, even if I must admit, that I don't understand half of
        > the math you are using...
        >
        > Looking forward to a boost of my mental calculation!
        > Bernhard

      • George Lane
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4 3:06 AM
          Hi Bernhard,

          It's always nice to see new names on the MC group. Please don't concern yourself with any particular level of skill or understanding; that all comes with time. Experience always has been the best teacher, and it always will be. If you learn at your own pace, rather than trying to learn at someone else's, you will learn well. My favourite way of looking at this is to treat it in the same way as eating: If you eat what you need when you are hungry, you will grow fit and strong. If you try to gobble down everything in sight at speed, the only thing you'll do is make yourself ill.

          Some people will tell you that the most important thing is to improve what you do; I on the other hand say that the most important thing is that you actually enjoy it. And it certainly seems to me that you do and will continue to do so.

          I suggest a quick 'trawl' through the past messages posted to the group - and some of the articles posted to the 'files' section will undoubtedly be of interest to you also.

          Please feel free to tell me if I can be of any assistance.

          Regards,

          George

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5 7:06 AM
            Hi there,

            To begin with, mental calculations competition rules state that you must write down nothing other than the answer; there has however never been any rule forbidding competitors from writing the answer piece by piece. You can write the answer from either end as you calculate, and in some instances in the Mental Calculations World Championship (I have not yet competed in the World Cup) I have even written the answer from both ends and finished in the middle.

            It sounds as though you have a good grasp of square roots already, but there are many articles in the 'files' section of this group with a whole host of additional ideas.

            Now for your most specific question; that of multiplication. Many top mental calculators memorise two-digit multiplication cross-tables; I do not as my memory will not permit it. I use a single-digit cross-multiplication method and, if the numbers are short, I can just about remember the parts of the answer as I build it up. With longer numbers, such as those found in the World Cup (i.e. 8x8 multiplications) I write the digits one at a time from the right hand end as I go. There should be something in the files regarding this, but I can send you a more detailed description of my method (with a couple of worked examples) for clarification if you wish.

            Regards,

            George

> [...]

            > over it, that my second son held the record with ONE point better than
            > my best result... :-)
            >
            > Pitifully my programming skills are not good enough to put all that
            > stuff online, so there are at the moment only 110 m hurdles, 100 m and
            > 400 m ... And it is only in German and Swedish.
            >
            > I know,of course, that this isn't the one and only truth, as you have
            > to learn to use the numerical keyboard quickly as well - but if you
            > want to try my (rudimental) Mathletics, you are very welcome. Go to
            > www.werbeka. com/gallerd. htm (German version) and choose Mathletics.
            >
            > Layman or not, I intend to pry a little into the things you do here in
            > this group and maybe pick up one or the other nice idea and learn a
            > few new things, even if I must admit, that I don't understand half of
            > the math you are using...
            >
            > Looking forward to a boost of my mental calculation!

          • werbeka
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5 9:30 AM
              Thank you, George,

              for your kind words and the offered help. Of course I would be
              interested in all kind of help - but I have come a little bit on my
              way. I looked at Alberto Coto's videos and saw him multiplying from
              the right to the left. So, I figured out, how to do that and I solved
              the very first 3-digit x 3-digit calculation of my life. I was very
              proud of that... :-)

              But pride gave way to astonishment today, when I got help to set up a
              10 x 10-digit addition and solved it. I knew that I wouldn't do so
              badly there, but actually I did it - without mistake - in 57 seconds.
              This was far better than I expected it to be ...

              So, right now I think is is a pity that I didn't hear about mental
              calculation 30 years ago. Still, I'll try to push my limits a little
              further - and every suggestion or help will be very welcome.

              Thank you very much for taking concern of my newbie questions. :-)
              Best regards from a rainy Sweden
              Bernhard

              --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane