Re: [Mental Calculation] Indian participants to MCWC 2008

  • Frank Chin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2008
      As explained by Andy Robertshaw, if based on Julian Calendar, 23/02/1676 is Wednesday, but if based on Geogerian, 23/02/1676 is Sunday.
      However, Willem Bouman seems to have different formula for the working of Weekdays, perhaps you can explain your method to us please.
      Regards
      Frank Chin

      Hallo Andy,

      As calendar calculation is not my best capacity, I calculated:

      23-1+4+19+6+ 6=57 = Sunday. So: already 1 foult less.

      Till next week!

      Willem Bouman

      From: Frank Chin <fongkeechin@ yahoo.co. uk>
      To: MentalCalculation@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, June 16, 2008, 5:56 AM

      I see, so Divasli is giving a private tuition to the Indian participants for this year MCWC on calendar event!

      Hmmm… in order for the rest of the participants to compete on common ground, it is only fair that a little tuition to be given to all as well.

      Please check my temporary web-site http://fongkee. t35.com for suggestion on other method to work out the calendar and square root. I haven’t figure out the faster method of multiplication of 2 8-digit numbers yet beside the cross multiplication method. So if any one on the forum has a faster method, I am eager to know.

      So who will be the ‘Dragon warrior’, the chosen one who will rescue the world from Tai Lung? Will it be Robert Fountain, George Lane, Willem Bouman, Alberto Cotoor other rising stars from India. Boy, I can't wait for the results. It is getting more and more exciting as the time draws nearer.
      Frank Chin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 24, 2008
        Dear Mr Frank Chin,

        My trainig for calendar calculation came from the following illuster calculators:
        a.. Wim Klein in December 1959. Unfortunately his advise was nothing to do with: in his eyes I was too good (really, he said!!! for this banality.
        b.. Summer 2006 from Gert Mittring as Calendar Calculation is asked in the MSO London.
        c.. November 2006 from Robert Fountain, because the MCWC asks also CC, there it even means 25% of the standard questions.
        The method:

        1.. Weekday, eventually (7)
        2.. Month codes from Januari-December are respectively: 1,4,4,0,2,5,0,3,6,1,4,6
        3.. Years: take the year number and find the number of leap years after 00
        4.. Find the mod (7) of the year
        5.. the years 1900 are 00 years, 1800= +2, 1700=+4, 1600 and 2000=+6
        6.. In leap years subtract for January and February 1 .
        7.. Find the (7) of the number of the addition
        8.. My way: Sunday=1, Monday=2, etc.
        Again 23 February 1676: 23-1+4+19+6+6=57 = 1(7), so Sunday.

        My birthday 19-09-1939:
        19+6+9+4=38, so Tuesday.

        My grandfather 22 March 1888:
        22+4+22+4+2=54=5(7) so Thursday.

        Are you content?

        Regards,

        Willem Bouman

      • Frank Chin
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 24, 2008
          Dear Willem,
          Thanks for your sharing of the method that you use, a quick comparison between yours and Lewis Carroll's method revealed that the only difference is in the calculation of the years, (with century removed).
          your method is = int(y/4) + mod(y, 7)
          where as Lewis Carroll's method is = int(y/12) + mod(y, 12) + int(mod(y, 12)/4).

          A quick check on the microsoft excel showed the answers are identical. Magical!
          So both methods are correct and it boiled down to personal preference, but your is simplier and involved less steps to calculated. I will revised the website accordingly if you don't have any objection of mentioning your method.
          BTW, can you share your method on the eight digits multiplication? (may be after the MCWC as you need time to practice)
          Regards
          Frank Chin

          .