Re: [Mental Calculation] Practice sheets

  • George Lane
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2008
      Greetings, my friend Willem

      Thank you for your kind words, but I create these files not only for the good of others; I also use them myself and I very much enjoy assembling them. I agree that setting one's own problems is not the best way to go about things, but since the numbers are generated at random (according to fixed but wide-ranging templates) their practice value is still quite sound.

      You are quite correct that a stretch of seven hours is too great for most people to be able to concentrate effectively, but it is still my intention to make the 7-hour sheet a part of the Pegasus training file. My reasoning is this: We all make our own training programs out of the available material; no two people are going to train in the same way. Consequently, only those people who are supremely confident/brave/arrogant enough to do so will attempt the seven hours file; there is also no penalty for starting a test on one day & finishing it with a second 'shift' on another day. In short, it will be there for anyone who wishes to try it, but it is not a compulsory element of anybody's training. I believe the kind of people who would most likely be put off by this part of the file would be those who wouldn't even want to try it. And since they don't have to do so, there shouldn't be any real problem. Incidentally, it is possible to concentrate for seven hours at a single
      stretch - I have done so on more than fifty tests so far. The only time I have failed to complete the entire test was one occasion when I was already too tired to compete effectively when I started. And therein lies another point; as competitors, we have to take the contest when it is available. We may already be practically exhausted when we start (as indeed I was myself at the 2007 event) and so stamina training can, in this respect, actually assist in boosting one's potential performance.

      But I have no option but to agree with your final & most valuable point; there is indeed much more to life than mental calculations. That's just one of many reasons why the selection of one's own training schedule is entirely optional.

      All the best,

      George

      Willem Bouman <awapbouman@...> wrote:
      Dear George,

      Let I begin with making you compliments for your efforts for the good sake: Mental Calculation. Adn making training sheets is very good: one should not make his own problems. ( My question: who makes problems for you?).

      I have a specail problem, or a question. When I read that you want to make a training file for stamina 7 hours MC I think this is much too much. In no kind of labour one can do in full concentration 7 hours of intensive work without a break. Another question is if it will generarte enthousiasm when one has to do so long MC. So please do not make such a file and I say this with all kinds of sympathy for your person and work.

      When I start with your files I take of every kind of question 4 or 5 and hop through it. And after that I do other kinds of questions. Not more than 1½-2 hours a day,, threre is more than only MC in the world.

      In all friendship,

      Willem Bouman