RE: [Mental Calculation] Re: 34 x 86

  • Ian Stewart-Koster
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2007
      I see his way as simpler than the last explanation...
      34 x 86 is 2 x 17 x 86 which is 17 x 86 x 2 which is 17 x 172, which is 17
      x 170 + 17 x 2 which is 17 squared x 10 plus 34, which is 2890 + 34 = 2924.
      Best wishes, Ian

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
        wow, you make it seem so beautiful and easy, i felt some new connections occur between some brain cells *wink*, it was a feeling of being high for a moment. Thanks for helping to make this easier, i never realized you could do that to the numbers and get the same result.

        twh

        Ian Stewart-Koster <ian@...> wrote: I see his way as simpler than the last explanation...
        34 x 86 is 2 x 17 x 86 which is 17 x 86 x 2 which is 17 x 172, which is 17
        x 170 + 17 x 2 which is 17 squared x 10 plus 34, which is 2890 + 34 = 2924.
        Best wishes, Ian

        If you need to reach me by instant messenger (sign up)

        AIM: vfuturist
        Skype.com : visionaryfuturist

        --------
        Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
        http://www.1st-amendment.org

      • Jan van Koningsveld
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
          34 x 86 = 102/3 * 86 = 8772/3 = 2924

          I find it very interesting to see the different ways everyone uses to calculate a multiplication. We should do this more often.

          Jan

        • Jan van Koningsveld
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
            Sorry, I noticed too late that this was already mentioned by Ron.

            Jan

            I find it very interesting to see the different ways everyone uses to calculate a multiplication. We should do this more often.

            Jan

          • Trade Web
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
              34 x 86

              this is the way I do it as a beginner.....

              I put the

              34 (over the eighty six)
              86

              then I multiply

              6 x 4 = 24
              then I add 6 x 30 = 180
              so then I get 204
              then I add 80 x 4 = 320
              so then I get 524
              then I multiply 80 x 30 and get 2400
              and add it to 524 and get

              2924

              thats how I multiply 2 x 2 digit numbers.

              If you need to reach me by instant messenger (sign up)

              AIM: vfuturist
              Skype.com : visionaryfuturist

              --------
              Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
              http://www.1st-amendment.org

            • Andy Robertshaw
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 16, 2007
                In fact, since the ratio first digit:second digit in the first number (3:4) is the same as the ratio second digit:first digit in the second number (6:8 = 3:4) then both figures can be reversed.
                Therefore the answer is the same as 43x68, and the sum can be negotiated this way if that's easier.
                Andy