Re: 34 x 86

  • cal_q_layton
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 14, 2007
      --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "tradewebhosting"
      <tradewebhosting@...> wrote:

      > How did you come to 17 x 172 = 289 x 10 is there some quick way.
      >
      > Mark
      >

      > Yes, i know its late , but i read the last messages now.
      >
      > I prefer this way : In 34 x 86 I hear "seventeen , seventeen.." ,
      >
      > i.e. 34 x 86 =
      >
      > 17 x 17 2 =
      >
      > 289 (x 10) + 34 = 2924
      >
      > Best wishes.
      >

      > Javi.

      Here's what Javi was getting at:

      34 is a multiple of 17. (2x17)
      86 is CLOSE to a multiple of 17. (5x17 + 1)

      So 34 x 86 = (2 x 17) x [(5 x 17) + 1]
      = [(2 x 17) x (5 x 17)] + [(2 x 17) x 1] = 2x5x17x17 + 34
      =[10 x (17^2)] + 34 = 2890 + 34

      Does that clear things up?

      Al Stanger
    • Ian Stewart-Koster
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 14, 2007
        I see his way as simpler than the last explanation...
        34 x 86 is 2 x 17 x 86 which is 17 x 86 x 2 which is 17 x 172, which is 17
        x 170 + 17 x 2 which is 17 squared x 10 plus 34, which is 2890 + 34 = 2924.
        Best wishes, Ian

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
          wow, you make it seem so beautiful and easy, i felt some new connections occur between some brain cells *wink*, it was a feeling of being high for a moment. Thanks for helping to make this easier, i never realized you could do that to the numbers and get the same result.

          twh

          Ian Stewart-Koster <ian@...> wrote: I see his way as simpler than the last explanation...
          34 x 86 is 2 x 17 x 86 which is 17 x 86 x 2 which is 17 x 172, which is 17
          x 170 + 17 x 2 which is 17 squared x 10 plus 34, which is 2890 + 34 = 2924.
          Best wishes, Ian

          If you need to reach me by instant messenger (sign up)

          AIM: vfuturist
          Skype.com : visionaryfuturist

          --------
          Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
          http://www.1st-amendment.org

        • Jan van Koningsveld
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
            34 x 86 = 102/3 * 86 = 8772/3 = 2924

            I find it very interesting to see the different ways everyone uses to calculate a multiplication. We should do this more often.

            Jan

          • Jan van Koningsveld
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
              Sorry, I noticed too late that this was already mentioned by Ron.

              Jan

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 15, 2007
                34 x 86

                this is the way I do it as a beginner.....

                I put the

                34 (over the eighty six)
                86

                then I multiply

                6 x 4 = 24
                then I add 6 x 30 = 180
                so then I get 204
                then I add 80 x 4 = 320
                so then I get 524
                then I multiply 80 x 30 and get 2400
                and add it to 524 and get

                2924

                thats how I multiply 2 x 2 digit numbers.

                If you need to reach me by instant messenger (sign up)

                AIM: vfuturist
                Skype.com : visionaryfuturist

                --------
                Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
                http://www.1st-amendment.org

              • Andy Robertshaw
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 16, 2007
                  In fact, since the ratio first digit:second digit in the first number (3:4) is the same as the ratio second digit:first digit in the second number (6:8 = 3:4) then both figures can be reversed.
                  Therefore the answer is the same as 43x68, and the sum can be negotiated this way if that's easier.
                  Andy