Re: [Mental Calculation] Tickets competition

  • viera@matcom.uh.cu
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2006
      We have celebrate three Mental Calculation. The competitions are:
      1- addition
      2- multiplication
      3- square roots
      4- calendar memory
      5- tickets competitions.
      6- Remember digits (for example in one second how many digits can you
      remember).
      This competition is very exciting for all us.
      Best regards.
      Yusnier.

      > dear friend
      > can u send me deatils of competition in cuba
      > divesh shah
      >

      > viera@... wrote:
      > Hello everybody. I am cuban and I am going to participate in
      > the next
      > Mental Calculation World Cup. Here in Cuba we have our competitions in
      > Mental Calculation. One of our categories is a single competition that
      > we call "tickets competition" because here in my country when you enter
      > in a bus the driver give you a ticket. A ticket is a number of 6
      > digits. The competition consist in 10 tickets that we have to solve in
      > 5 minutes. A ticket is solved if with all the digits (in their order
      > from left to right) we get an expression that give us 100. The possible
      > operators are: +,-,*,/,!,(,) and potentiation with the base before the
      > exponent. For example the ticket 236490 can be solved in diferents
      > ways:
      > (-2+3)*(6+4)+90 = 100
      > (-2+3)*(6+4)*(9+0!) = 100
      > 2*3!/6*(49+0!) = 100
      > 2^3+6-4+90 = 100
      >
      > This competition is the most popular for us. I think that it very
      > interesting.
      > Best regards
      > Yusnier.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Divesh Shah
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
        when is the competition.
        divesh shah
        viera@... wrote:
        We have celebrate three Mental Calculation. The competitions are:
        1- addition
        2- multiplication
        3- square roots
        4- calendar memory
        5- tickets competitions.
        6- Remember digits (for example in one second how many digits can you
        remember).
        This competition is very exciting for all us.
        Best regards.
        Yusnier.

        > dear friend
        > can u send me deatils of competition in cuba
        > divesh shah
        >

        > viera@... wrote:
        > Hello everybody. I am cuban and I am going to participate in
        > the next
        > Mental Calculation World Cup. Here in Cuba we have our competitions in
        > Mental Calculation. One of our categories is a single competition that
        > we call "tickets competition" because here in my country when you enter
        > in a bus the driver give you a ticket. A ticket is a number of 6
        > digits. The competition consist in 10 tickets that we have to solve in
        > 5 minutes. A ticket is solved if with all the digits (in their order
        > from left to right) we get an expression that give us 100. The possible
        > operators are: +,-,*,/,!,(,) and potentiation with the base before the
        > exponent. For example the ticket 236490 can be solved in diferents
        > ways:
        > (-2+3)*(6+4)+90 = 100
        > (-2+3)*(6+4)*(9+0!) = 100
        > 2*3!/6*(49+0!) = 100
        > 2^3+6-4+90 = 100
        >
        > This competition is the most popular for us. I think that it very
        > interesting.
        > Best regards
        > Yusnier.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • arturo mendoza huertas
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hello I am Peruvian and I am going to participate in the next mental calculation world cup, but I want know when is the competition in Cuba
          Best wishes

          Arturo Mendoza

          viera@... wrote:
[...]

        • George Lane
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 16, 2006
            Hi guys, here's another format for you. Some of you will be familiar with this, to those people I ask you to bear with me for a while. One of the more popular 'game shows' on the TV here in Britain is 'Countdown', which is essentially a words-based contest for two people. However, there are also numbers-based rounds within each edition of the show, and I think those of you who are unfamiliar with the show might like the idea. It works like this:

            Firstly, there are 24 cards carrying hidden numbers. These are 25, 50, 75, 100 and the numbers from 1 to 10 twice each. The four larger numbers are kept separated from the twenty smaller ones. One contestant calls for six cards, stating how many are to be taken from the larger numbers and how many from the smaller ones, and these are then turned over to reveal which numbers are available for the contestants to use. A computer then gives a randomly generated three-figure number for the contest.

            The aim is to use any or all of the six numbers available (you don't need to use them all fi you don't want to) in order to make the 'target' number. Only the four standard operators (add, subtract, multiply & divide) are allowed, but you can use them - and the numbers - in any order you wish. Here's an example:

            The numbers available are 5, 3, 7, 10, 1, 75. The target is 165.

            There are many ways to do this: 3-1=2, then 2x75=150, 150+10+5=165 is just one - but each is as good as any other. If neither contestant can reach the exact target, the closer of the two attempts will take the credit.

            I would like to know if you think this could be used for the basis of an 'all-in' competition; perhaps some rounds could be set where the target might be impossible to reach, in which case credit would go to the closer (or closest) answer available.

            Any ideas?

            Best regards,

            George Lane

            viera@... wrote:
            We have celebrate three Mental Calculation. The competitions are:
            1- addition
            2- multiplication
            3- square roots
            4- calendar memory
            5- tickets competitions.
            6- Remember digits (for example in one second how many digits can you
            remember).
            This competition is very exciting for all us.
            Best regards.
            Yusnier.

            > dear friend
            > can u send me deatils of competition in cuba
            > divesh shah
            >

            > viera@... wrote:
            > Hello everybody. I am cuban and I am going to participate in
            > the next
            > Mental Calculation World Cup. Here in Cuba we have our competitions in
            > Mental Calculation. One of our categories is a single competition that
            > we call "tickets competition" because here in my country when you enter
            > in a bus the driver give you a ticket. A ticket is a number of 6
            > digits. The competition consist in 10 tickets that we have to solve in
            > 5 minutes. A ticket is solved if with all the digits (in their order
            > from left to right) we get an expression that give us 100. The possible
            > operators are: +,-,*,/,!,(,) and potentiation with the base before the
            > exponent. For example the ticket 236490 can be solved in diferents
            > ways:
            > (-2+3)*(6+4)+90 = 100
            > (-2+3)*(6+4)*(9+0!) = 100
            > 2*3!/6*(49+0!) = 100
            > 2^3+6-4+90 = 100
            >
            > This competition is the most popular for us. I think that it very
            > interesting.
            > Best regards
            > Yusnier.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ralf_laue
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 17, 2006
              Hello,

              This game is known in France as "Des chiffres (et des lettres)", and
              you can find a lot of good links about it, see for example:

              http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Des_chiffres_et_des_lettres
              http://cybercl.free.fr/fcl.html
              http://chiflett.freesurf.fr/
              http://perso.orange.fr/nombresetlettres/