Mind Sports Olympiad 2006

  • ralf_laue
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4 6:46 AM
      Hello,

      Gert Mittring won the MC event at the Mind Sports Olympiad 2006 for
      the third time.
      Does anybody have an information about the other results and the task
      sheets?

      Ralf
    • George Lane

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 9 3:16 AM
          Hi Ralf

          Sorry it's been a bit longer than I first said, but here are the results from the Mental Calculations World Championship at the 2006 Mind Sports Olympiad.

          The time limit was 3 hours 30 minutes, and although I have an original paper I don't have the capacity to load the problems onto the 'net as yet - I'll be doing that later. The test finished with six su doku problems which we were to solve in our heads & mark only the number in the centre cell of each puzzle. Each su doku was worth 10 points for a correct solution and -5 for a wrong answer (no answer at all would score zero). After a major dispute, the scores were published showing the overall results split between mathematics & su doku. Thankfully, the only effect of the su doku problems on the overall positions was at the bottom of the list.

          The 'genuine' mathematical part of the test was marked out of 690 points, the su doku out of 60, and the maximum total score was thus 750.

          1. Gert Mittring (Germany) 666+30=696
          2. George Lane (England) 642+30=672
          3. Andrew Robertshaw (Wales) 601+20=621
          4. Matthew Cordell (England) 571+30=601
          5. Phil Foley (England) 538+10=548
          6. Divesh Shah (India) 522+10=532
          7. Willem Bouman (Netherlands) 508+0=508
          8. Ben Pridmore (England) 472+30=502
          9. Kenneth Wilshire (Wales) 461+10=471
          10. Tomas Kosicka (Czech Republic) 416+20=436
          11. Keith Gordon (England) 400+0=400
          12. Martyn Hamer (England) 349+30=379
          13. David Pearce (England) 279+20=299
          14. Bharat Thakrar (England) 210+30=240
          15. Kenneth Ho (Hong Kong) 104+40=144
          16. Tom Maxwell (England) 71+0=71
          17. Emma-Jayne Hagerty (England) 39+30=69
          18= Graham Parlour (England) 58+0=58
          18= Mark Rye (England) 8+0=58

          Primary congratulations must go to Gert Mittring. With three entries and three consecutive gold medals, including the event's only ever perfect score in 2005, Gert must surely be the favourite in any MC event he chooses to enter.

          Congratulations to all for taking part, and best wishes to Emma-Jayne Hagerty, Tom Maxwell & Mark Rye. These three people have set themselves the target of competing in a record number of world championship events in a twelve month period - and they have already taken part in more than twenty such events each with more than half their time still left available to them.

          Commiserations must also be due to Matthew Cordell, bronze medallist from the 2004 Mental Calculations World Championship, as this was the fifth time (in six attempts) he has finished just outside the medals in 4th place.

          Regards

          George

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10 10:07 AM
            Hallo Ralf,

            Unfortunately I have no task sheets. This event was close to the last ones
            with one exception - you have to solve Sodukos.
            George Lane was the Silver Awards winner - perhaps he has more information.
            Tony Corfe - the MSO event manager - could have further information.

            With best regards,

            Gert
          • Fleissdr@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 26 1:31 PM