Root lengths

  • joshulator84
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hello, this is Josh! I have not posted in a VERY long, but I would
      like to mention an easy shortcut for knowing the length of the nth
      root of an m-digit number. First, divide m by n. Next, check if the
      quotient is an integer. If it is, the quotient is the length of the
      integer part of the nth root;however, if it is not, simply round your
      quotient up to the nearest integer.

      Example:
      Let's calculate the length of the integer portion of the 3rd root
      of the 8-digit number 70541929. 8 divided by 3 gives 2.333..etc, so
      rounding up gives 3. Thus, the integer part of the root has 3 digits.

      This shortcut might already be known here but I posted it in case it
      was not.