Re: [Mental Calculation] Re: Gert won in Manchester with a perfect score

  • George Lane
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi Jan

      The regular question-setter for the MC World Championship has resigned - and there are thus many possibilities for the future. I aready have a few ideas for new forms of problems with which to challenge the experts, but I have yet to know whether or not a contest will even take place next year. If it does, there will almost certainly be some changes to be seen - "watch this space", as they say......

      Jan van Koningsveld <jan.van.koningsveld@...> wrote:
      Hi Robert,

      congratulations for your second place ! And of course congratulations to George for the 3rd place !

      So you were VERY close to the correct solution. Was this the only error you made ?

      Now that someone reached the perfect score, will there be any changes in the future ?

      Best wishes
      Jan

      Subject: [Mental Calculation] Re: Gert won in Manchester with a perfect score

      Hi Issam/Jan,

      I finished in second place - between Gert and George. Not a bad
      result I suppose. I erred in the root section. I remember writing
      15.90 for the 4th root of 64000. The correct answer is 15.91. This
      is an easy one for both of you, I know.

      The paper was 3 hrs and did not include any factoring, fraction
      multiplication or calendar questions. The only new question was the
      multiplication 732 x 841 x 6463, but everybody answered it
      correctly. Can't remember much else about it.

      Best wishes,
      Rob F

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • George Lane
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi Robert

        I think you're right; the idea of scoring nothing past the second mistake seems like a good move. I must say, however, that it seems from what you have said ("I finished with this") that you might be considering walking away from MC contests of this kind - and the loss of a twice-winner of the MC World Championship title would (in my view) seriously devalue any future competitor's success. I hope I've misread something and that you still intend to oppose Gert, myself and the others at future events.

        Cheers

        George

        rob1729 <rob1729@...> wrote:
        --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "Jan van Koningsveld"
        wrote:
        > Hi Robert,
        >
        > congratulations for your second place ! And of course
        congratulations to George for the 3rd place !

        > So you were VERY close to the correct solution. Was this the only
        error you made ?

        > Now that someone reached the perfect score, will there be any
        changes in the future ?

        > Best wishes
        > Jan

        Thanks Jan, and Ben and Alberto too.

        I was off by 0.01 on another of the 'deep' roots, even though my
        score makes it appear that I answered only one question incorrectly.
        Deep roots is the risky section for me, since I rely on trial and
        error for these tasks. A little too much error in this instance.

        The future of the event - the future ofthe MSO - is uncertain, and
        more so than usual.

        Changes to the MC event are not essential because time is taken into
        account for identical scores and David Sedgwick's choice of
        questions is as good as any. Changes might be beneficial though. A
        VAST number of questions could be set, too many even for George to
        finish. The way in which the papers are Marked might need to be
        changed with so many questions. Perhaps in any one section, after
        the second mistake is made, subsequent questions in that section are
        not scored, even if they are correct (like the day for date
        questions in Annaberg last year). This would make marking the papers
        much easier. The drawback is losing a lot of marks by making silly
        errors on the earlier/easier questions. And what about
        the 'correction rule'?

        Personally I don't care what changes are made because I finished
        with this.

        Ben - I read about your remarkable performance at the world memory
        championships (I seem to have missed the live broadcasts). You came
        very close to retaining the title despite your late decision to
        enter, lack of preperation and having all those digits of pi buzzing
        around inside your head! Speaking of pi, an article has just
        appeared that outlines the strategy of your favourite person in the
        world:
        http://www.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20050823f3.htm

        Best wishes
        Robert

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rob1729
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 4, 2005
          Hi George,

          Marking the papers would be even easier if all the questions were
          worth one point. A competitor's score for a given section would then
          simply be the number of the last question they answered correctly
          (assuming subsequent questions in the section are not scored).

          I think a case can be made for a marking scheme like the one above,
          in which all the questions carry the same number of points. The
          accepted logic for varying the number of points is that more
          difficult questions should score more highly. But if you look at it
          the other way around and start with full points and lose points for
          each incorrect answer, then the question arises as to why the
          competitor should be penalised more for erring on the more difficult
          questions. An example:

          34 x 67 2 points

          849642 x 495346 10 points

          In the traditional scheme, if the first question is answered
          incorrectly, the penalty is 2 points. If the second question is
          answered incorrectly, the penalty is 10 points. Why should the
          penalty be lower for the easier question?

          Best wishes,
          Robert F

          --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane

        • Fleissdr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 5, 2005
            Dear MC-Friends,

            sorry for my late answer!!!

            thank you very much for your Congratulations (esspecially George, Robert,
            Alberto)!!

            Gert
          • alberto coto
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 7, 2005
              Hi Friends:

              Do you have any method for the resolution of Sudoku ? What about it?
              I am working this question, in Spain is very popular this game in last weeks.

              Best wishes

              Alberto

              ralf_laue <info@...> escribió:
              Gratulations to Gert Mittring who won the Mental Calculation contest
              at the Mind Sports Olympics - with a perfect score (no errors)!

              A German report about the event can be found at
              http://www.express.de/servlet/Satellite?pagename=XP/index&pageid=1006361736814&rubrik=268&artikelid=1124699474189.

              Ralf

              ---------------------------------

            • Oleg Stepanov
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 7, 2005
                ac> Hi Friends:

                ac> Do you have any method for the resolution of Sudoku ? What about it?
                ac> I am working this question, in Spain is very popular this game in last weeks.

                ac> Best wishes
                :-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
                I made puzzles magazine where use sudoku last three years.
                I invent 3-d sudoku but do not know who interesting it. :-))))
                If you know magazines in Spain what interesting different sudoku -
                please, write me. We can make money on it. :-)

                Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.
                http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/
              • George Lane
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 8, 2005
                  Hi there Alberto.

                  I have what I refer to as a 'partial strategy' for the solution of standard format su-doku puzzles. I don't know just how efficient it is, but it seems to do well for me - I can usually solve our newspaper's easy & hard puzzles (both, not each) in the time allocated for the easy puzzle. It goes something like this:

                  Firstly, check each column & each row (of 3x3 blocks) to see if there is any indication of a single position within a 3x3 block for a '1', then do the same for '2' and so on for all nine numbers. When you have done this, you will have entered a few numbers into the grid which may (though not necessarily) make a 'repeat run' of this phase useful. If this results in the entry of more numbers, repeat it again.

                  When such a repeat does not result in the entry of further numbers, it's time to go on to the next stage.

                  Check the grid for any 3x3 blocks which have at least 5 numbers already entered, the more numbers the better. Within each such block, check which numbers are absent - there may be one or more of these which have only one position they can fit into (and, of course, you then put them in). Rows & columns of single cells can also be treated in the same manner.

                  After a few 'passes' over this phase, you will find that the majority of the grid is now loaded, and you might like to try the first phase of the solution again.

                  At about this point, I usually try to see if there are any numbers from the 1-9 set which have been fully utilised. If there are, they can then be eliminated from any further examination of the grid. In this way, it is also possible to think only of those numbers which still require entry at a number of points within the grid.

                  One point which is often overlooked is the fact that a 3x3 block or a row or column of cells with 8 entries can have only one possible entry for the remaining cell.

                  The following tip is also worth noting: If (for example) there are three numbers missing from a 3x3 block, all from the same 'sub-column' or 'sub-row' (as I call them) within that block, with only one other cell left empty within the remainder of the full column or row of cells, then the three missing numbers from that 3x3 block can be identified; thus the other single missing number would be revealed.

                  Once all this has been done, there shouldn't be much trouble in completing the rest of the puzzle; simply using the logic of the steps already taken should be enough to reach the final conclusion.

                  Best of luck,

                  George

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 9, 2005
                      Hello,

                      Everybody who thinks he is good in solving Sudokus - try the one at
                      http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/raetselrennen/main.php?seite=raetsel&film=6
                      (scroll to right to see the task. It is the hardest one I have seen.)

                      Ralf
                    • alberto coto
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 9, 2005
                        Thank´s Ralf :))

                        ralf_laue <info@...> escribió:Hello,

                        Everybody who thinks he is good in solving Sudokus - try the one at
                        http://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/raetselrennen/main.php?seite=raetsel&film=6
                        (scroll to right to see the task. It is the hardest one I have seen.)

                        Ralf

                        Computer programs Calculation Mathematics Mental Advanced mathematics Mathematics and computer science