I HAVE A GREAT NEW

  • alberto coto
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
      Hi Ralf, Hi everybody.

      Yesterday I received an email about a new great mental calculator: Facundo Pelitos, from Andalucía (the South of Spain).

      Mr Pelitos told me that he multiplied two eight digit numbers in only 27 seconds !!!!
      He has press cut and a video, because his record was in a TV Show.

      I have a lot of e-mails about people what stablish new Records (My records are old), but the Record of Facundo is great for the comunity of Mental Calculators.

      Best wishes for all.

      Alberto Coto

      ralf_laue <info@...> escribió:
      --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, alberto coto <alcoga34@y...>
      wrote:
      > HI again :
      >
      > I think that World Records only in Championships. I would like to
      know to Jorge Mendoza Huertas in the next World Cup

      Jorge Mendoza Huertas told me that he is interested in coming to the
      next World Cup which is good news.

      I think that everyone will agree that times achieved in championships
      are more valueable. However, it is good for popularisation of MC to
      allow record attempts in TV, at universities etc. (Remember that some
      of your own Guinness records have been achieved in TV shows, which is
      very good for the mental calculation community.)
      The important point that everything is well documented and controlled
      which was the case for Jorge.

      Best Wishes,
      Ralf

      ---------------------------------

    • Emmanuel/DATA
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
        In my opinion fastest possible might be between 18 and 22 seconds
        Reckon time to add the partial produits and write the digits;

        I however notice (in my practice) that sometime mental calculation of the whole task and the writing of the final product is faster than calculating and writing in the same time; this was done for lighter calculations ( 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 digits)

        His technic is perheaps a bit different and perheaps does he master and possess larger multiplication table (however this is not mandatory)

        Emmanuël

        wrote:
        > HI again :
        >
        > I think that World Records only in Championships. I would like to
        know to Jorge Mendoza Huertas in the next World Cup

        Jorge Mendoza Huertas told me that he is interested in coming to the
        next World Cup which is good news.

        I think that everyone will agree that times achieved in championships
        are more valueable. However, it is good for popularisation of MC to
        allow record attempts in TV, at universities etc. (Remember that some
        of your own Guinness records have been achieved in TV shows, which is
        very good for the mental calculation community.)
        The important point that everything is well documented and controlled
        which was the case for Jorge.

        Best Wishes,
        Ralf

        ---------------------------------

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • rob1729
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
          --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, Emmanuel/DATA
          <emmanuel_dubrulle@y...> wrote:
          > In my opinion fastest possible might be between 18 and 22 seconds

          Many - possibly hundreds - of Japanese have already gone faster than
          this. The top experts in mental soroban do their calculations
          entirely mentally - it is quicker than having to physically look at
          and manipulate the beads (cf. Emmanuel's comment about his 3x3s and
          4x4s). This relies on being able to visualise the soroban mentally,
          which seems to be a by-product of extensive practice using a real
          soroban. The best Japanese MCs have a mental soroban comprising 16
          or more rods. Some can even visualise multiple abacuses (abaci?). It
          is difficult for auditory calculators to appreciate the speed that
          can be achieved with a visual method like mental soroban (perhaps
          some secondary motor action in the fingers but no auditory).

          Japan is a sleeping giant in the world of MC and when it awakes, the
          impact will be both amazing and depressing. Experts in mental
          soroban should make a mockery of the (auditory) record lists.

          I wish some researcher would dispel the myth that auditory
          calculation is faster than visual calculation. It is true that the
          famous auditory calculators (Inaudi Bidder Klein) were faster than
          the famous visual calculators (Diamandi ??) but this is because of
          other factors - the rubbish visual methods used (cf. the excellent
          mental soroban method), the amount of practice they did and the age
          when they began practising, etc.

          Looking forward to seeing Facundo in action, and also a few mental
          abacists.

          Robert

          > Reckon time to add the partial produits and write the digits;
          >
          > I however notice (in my practice) that sometime mental calculation
          of the whole task and the writing of the final product is faster
          than calculating and writing in the same time; this was done for
          lighter calculations ( 3 x 3 and 4 x 4 digits)

          > His technic is perheaps a bit different and perheaps does he
          master and possess larger multiplication table (however this is not
          mandatory)

          > Emmanuël

        • George Lane
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
            Hi folks!

            The performance is indeed amazing, but Robert's note about the Japanese should also be taken into account. I've not previously heard about their exploits myself, but it certainly seems that they might be set to take over ownership of the MC record books in much the same way as some of the African nations now 'hold sway' over the domain of long distance running.

            On the subject of records & competitions, the MC World Championship is being held in Manchester on Tuesday August 23rd as part of the 9th annual Mind Sports Olympiad. I already know that some of you are unfortunately not able to make it to the contest this year, but how many of you will be there for the competition? I'll be there, and I'd like to see as many of you as possible. The field is often strong at the top end of the list, let's see if we can assemble a line-up to rival that of last year's World Cup.

            Regards,

            George Lane

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
              --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane
              <george972453@y...> wrote:

              Hi George,

              I'll be there on the 23rd for sure. Already finished my preparations
              and now recovering in the clouds.

              Best wishes,
              Robert

              > Hi folks!
              >
              > The performance is indeed amazing, but Robert's note about the
              Japanese should also be taken into account. I've not previously
              heard about their exploits myself, but it certainly seems that they
              might be set to take over ownership of the MC record books in much
              the same way as some of the African nations now 'hold sway' over the
              domain of long distance running.

              > On the subject of records & competitions, the MC World
              Championship is being held in Manchester on Tuesday August 23rd as
              part of the 9th annual Mind Sports Olympiad. I already know that
              some of you are unfortunately not able to make it to the contest
              this year, but how many of you will be there for the competition?
              I'll be there, and I'd like to see as many of you as possible. The
              field is often strong at the top end of the list, let's see if we
              can assemble a line-up to rival that of last year's World Cup.

              > Regards,
              >
              > George Lane

            • Oleg Stepanov
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
                GL> Yesterday I received an email about a new great mental
                GL> calculator: Facundo Pelitos, from Andalucía (the South of Spain).

                GL> Mr Pelitos told me that he multiplied two eight digit numbers in only 27 seconds !!!!
                By writing from right to left?
                GL> He has press cut and a video, because his record was in a TV Show.
                You are happy man. Peoples what write to me are very much stupid.
                Last week I watch show with Nekrasov - man what made Guinness Record by
                calculate root of big number. Showman find him many years after record
                and get interview. He is not high intellect man (simple worker on
                factory), told about record like Shakuntala Devi "I see result inside of
                brain", of course not one word what can help understand result (number
                of digits on answer), and his new interests - mind reading - demonstrate
                that looks like record was fake...

                Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.
                http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/
              • Emmanuel/DATA
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
                  >I watch show with Nekrasov - man what made Guinness Record by
                  >calculate root of big number

                  Oleg , can you tell us more about that ?

                  What type of root ?

                  Emmanuël

                  Oleg Stepanov <olegstepanov@...> a écrit :GL> Yesterday I received an email about a new great mental

                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 10, 2005
                    >>I watch show with Nekrasov - man what made Guinness Record by
                    >>calculate root of big number

                    ED> Oleg , can you tell us more about that ?
                    ED> What type of root ?
                    Ops. I supposed all know about it...
                    The task was made highest root. Number has 547 digits, root was 1000.
                    On 1991 he made it on 61 seconds... It was on Russian Guinness Records Book.
                    Long time I want get more information about this man. And on show where
                    I participated too, I see him. On his face possible understand he drink
                    a lot... And difficult suppose he can multiple on mind 2-digits on
                    2-digits. I will try made video.

                    More interesting - published Memories of Michael Kuni. He rolled
                    decks before Shelushkov. 5 decks on stage. On each visitors write 5
                    5-digit numbers. All deck began rolling. Kuni looks on decks and
                    calculate sums. On book a lot of pictures. Good show with calculating.
                    Probably nobody repeated it on Western World, but I do not suppose this
                    is difficult.

                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 13, 2005
                      Hi everybody:

                      In last days I am using in my additions a new techinique for to read numbers. I am adding a hundred digits in less than 17 seconds. And a 10-ten digit numbers in less than 4. 20 minutes. In Annaberg only 5.50 because it went better than one error in 4 minutes, and in Annaberg I did it very slowly.

                      Multiplication is another question, but I think I could do it in less than 35 seconds (8 x 8).

                      Best wishes for all.

                      Alberto
                      Oleg Stepanov <olegstepanov@...> escribió:
                      >>I watch show with Nekrasov - man what made Guinness Record by
                      >>calculate root of big number

                      ED> Oleg , can you tell us more about that ?
                      ED> What type of root ?
                      Ops. I supposed all know about it...
                      The task was made highest root. Number has 547 digits, root was 1000.
                      On 1991 he made it on 61 seconds... It was on Russian Guinness Records Book.
                      Long time I want get more information about this man. And on show where
                      I participated too, I see him. On his face possible understand he drink
                      a lot... And difficult suppose he can multiple on mind 2-digits on
                      2-digits. I will try made video.

                      More interesting - published Memories of Michael Kuni. He rolled
                      decks before Shelushkov. 5 decks on stage. On each visitors write 5
                      5-digit numbers. All deck began rolling. Kuni looks on decks and
                      calculate sums. On book a lot of pictures. Good show with calculating.
                      Probably nobody repeated it on Western World, but I do not suppose this
                      is difficult.

                      Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.
                      http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/

                      Mathematics and computer science Mathematics Mental Computer programs

                      ---------------------------------

                    • issam khneisser
                      Message 10 of 25 , Aug 13, 2005
                        Hi everybody,

                        one attempt shot, as Ralf say, it depend on how difficult this single task is for the competitor.
                        while practicing i can easily do for extracting square root, like 18.5 second for some tasks appearing very difficult to any jury and the World record is 44.7s. But yet, I did not succeed to do ten in a row all significant numbers right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Adopting one single task for record would end for certain time that they are illogic to compute, like answering by luck for an memorised answer due that that random task given was solved few moments ago.

                        good luck eveybody

                        alberto coto <alcoga34@...> wrote:
                        Hi everybody:

                        In last days I am using in my additions a new techinique for to read numbers. I am adding a hundred digits in less than 17 seconds. And a 10-ten digit numbers in less than 4. 20 minutes. In Annaberg only 5.50 because it went better than one error in 4 minutes, and in Annaberg I did it very slowly.

                        Multiplication is another question, but I think I could do it in less than 35 seconds (8 x 8).

                        Best wishes for all.

                        Alberto
                        Oleg Stepanov <olegstepanov@...> escribió:
                        >>I watch show with Nekrasov - man what made Guinness Record by
                        >>calculate root of big number

                        ED> Oleg , can you tell us more about that ?
                        ED> What type of root ?
                        Ops. I supposed all know about it...
                        The task was made highest root. Number has 547 digits, root was 1000.
                        On 1991 he made it on 61 seconds... It was on Russian Guinness Records Book.
                        Long time I want get more information about this man. And on show where
                        I participated too, I see him. On his face possible understand he drink
                        a lot... And difficult suppose he can multiple on mind 2-digits on
                        2-digits. I will try made video.

                        More interesting - published Memories of Michael Kuni. He rolled
                        decks before Shelushkov. 5 decks on stage. On each visitors write 5
                        5-digit numbers. All deck began rolling. Kuni looks on decks and
                        calculate sums. On book a lot of pictures. Good show with calculating.
                        Probably nobody repeated it on Western World, but I do not suppose this
                        is difficult.

                        Sincerely Yours, Oleg Stepanov.
                        http://users.lk.net/~stepanov/

                        Mathematics and computer science Mathematics Mental Computer programs

                        ---------------------------------

                      • Jan van Koningsveld

                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 16, 2005
                            Hi Jan:

                            I use a technique of my friend Ramon Campayo, a mnemonist, in Ultrarrapid read.
                            I am reading the numbers very speed with this method. My head can to add 6 - 7 digits per second.

                            Best wishes.

                            Alberto

                            Jan van Koningsveld <jan.van.koningsveld@...> escribió:
                            Hi Alberto,

                            what technique do you use to solve the additions ? Could you explain this a little bit ?

                            Thank you,

                            Jan

                            alberto coto <alcoga34@...> wrote:
                            Hi everybody:

                            In last days I am using in my additions a new techinique for to read numbers. I am adding a hundred digits in less than 17 seconds. And a 10-ten digit numbers in less than 4. 20 minutes. In Annaberg only 5.50 because it went better than one error in 4 minutes, and in Annaberg I did it very slowly.

                            Multiplication is another question, but I think I could do it in less than 35 seconds (8 x 8).

                            Best wishes for all.

                            Alberto

                            Mathematics and computer science Mathematics Mental Computer programs

                            ---------------------------------

                          • noonesprefect
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 3, 2005
                              What technique are using to multiply 8 x 8. This is my first day with
                              the yahoo group. I am amatuer calculator THANK YOU.

                              <alcoga34@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi Jan:
                              >
                              > I use a technique of my friend Ramon Campayo, a mnemonist, in
                              Ultrarrapid read.
                              > I am reading the numbers very speed with this method. My head can
                              to add 6 - 7 digits per second.

                              > Best wishes.
                              >
                              > Alberto
                              >
                              > Jan van Koningsveld <jan.van.koningsveld@e...> escribió:
                              > Hi Alberto,
                              >
                              > what technique do you use to solve the additions ? Could you
                              explain this a little bit ?

                              > Thank you,
                              >
                              > Jan
                              >

                              > alberto coto <alcoga34@y...> wrote:
                              > Hi everybody:
                              >
                              > In last days I am using in my additions a new techinique for to
                              read numbers. I am adding a hundred digits in less than 17 seconds.
                              And a 10-ten digit numbers in less than 4. 20 minutes. In Annaberg
                              only 5.50 because it went better than one error in 4 minutes, and in
                              Annaberg I did it very slowly.

                              > Multiplication is another question, but I think I could do it in
                              less than 35 seconds (8 x 8).

                              > Best wishes for all.
                              >
                              > Alberto

                              > Mathematics and computer science Mathematics Mental Computer
                              programs

                              Service.

                              > ---------------------------------

                            • Emmanuel/DATA
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 4, 2005
                                Cross multiplications
                                I describe how to proceed on my webpage (in french)

                                http://membres.lycos.fr/theandroiddata/dataroom/strategiesdecalcul/multiplier_comme_data.htm

                                Emmanuël

                                wrote:
                                > Hi Jan:
                                >
                                > I use a technique of my friend Ramon Campayo, a mnemonist, in
                                Ultrarrapid read.
                                > I am reading the numbers very speed with this method. My head can
                                to add 6 - 7 digits per second.

                                > Best wishes.
                                >
                                > Alberto
                                >
                                > Jan van Koningsveld escribió:
                                > Hi Alberto,
                                >
                                > what technique do you use to solve the additions ? Could you
                                explain this a little bit ?

                                > Thank you,
                                >
                                > Jan
                                >

                                > alberto coto wrote:
                                > Hi everybody:
                                >
                                > In last days I am using in my additions a new techinique for to
                                read numbers. I am adding a hundred digits in less than 17 seconds.
                                And a 10-ten digit numbers in less than 4. 20 minutes. In Annaberg
                                only 5.50 because it went better than one error in 4 minutes, and in
                                Annaberg I did it very slowly.

                                > Multiplication is another question, but I think I could do it in
                                less than 35 seconds (8 x 8).

                                > Best wishes for all.
                                >
                                > Alberto

                                > Mathematics and computer science Mathematics Mental Computer
                                programs

                                Service.

                                Yahoo! Groups Links