Multiplying N x N numbers

  • 14/m/usa
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
      Is there any site about multiplying two numbers mentally? Is there any
      way to multiply two numbers without having to remember a lot of
      numbers [except carry's and answers maybe]?

      I am new to this, and I don't know where to find information on any of
      this. So maybe a more appropriate question would be: Where should I
      start if I want to multiply large numbers together?

      Thanks!
    • Vikas Mishra
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2005
        14/m/usa wrote:
        > Is there any site about multiplying two numbers mentally? Is there any
        > way to multiply two numbers without having to remember a lot of
        > numbers [except carry's and answers maybe]?
        >
        > I am new to this, and I don't know where to find information on any of
        > this. So maybe a more appropriate question would be: Where should I
        > start if I want to multiply large numbers together?
        >
        > Thanks!

        "Trachtenberg's speed system of basic mathematics" might be a good place
        to start.

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0285629166/rekordklubsaxoni

        Regards,
        Vikas
      • Emmanuel/DATA
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
          Hi;

          To be able to calculate quickly and easily any 2 digit number, extend your multiplications table to 25 x 25; (although up to 12 x 12 could be sufficient too but makes principle more difficult in practice)
          25 X 25 require only 325 facts
          actually 170 new facts ( 55 facts with the 10 x 10 table )
          from the 170 it's still possible to remove other facts.

          Emmanuël

          14/m/usa <mrcubist@...> a écrit :
          Is there any site about multiplying two numbers mentally? Is there any
          way to multiply two numbers without having to remember a lot of
          numbers [except carry's and answers maybe]?

          I am new to this, and I don't know where to find information on any of
          this. So maybe a more appropriate question would be: Where should I
          start if I want to multiply large numbers together?

          Thanks!

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2005
            I have looked into the Trachtenberg system a little bit. But are
            Trachtenberg's multiplication procedures designed for the mind? i.e.
            can an average/above average, or so, person use Trachtenberg's system
            mentally?

            Thanks again
            Robert

            ----
            ----
            > "Trachtenberg's speed system of basic mathematics" might be a good
            place
            > to start.
            >
            > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0285629166/rekordklubsaxoni
            >
            > Regards,
            > Vikas
          • Michael Curtis
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
              Do you want to look at 2 numbers and, while looking at
              them, say from right to left the answer?

              Also, recently, there was described a very achievable
              way of mentally calculating a 3 digit by 3 digit
              number (cross multiplication):
              http://www.geocities.com/mentalmathandcatlover/multiplication.html

              I understand that Trachtenberg is a great way to
              obtain an answer from right to left.

              Another pursuit is to use mnemonics to memorise the
              question itself and to mentally produce the answer and
              then to announce it from left to right - but this is
              much slower and less entertaining for an audience, I
              would imagine.

              Mike