Re: [Mental Calculation] Connotations of Numbers

  • George Lane
    Message 1 of 7 , May 12 11:13 AM
      Hello again Gert.

      I agree; dividing by smaller numbers will logically take more time than dividing by larger ones - unless, of course, the larger number is so large it is difficult to handle in itself. I have used one subtraction technique to tell whether or not a long number can be divided by any or all of the three factors of 7,11,13 - but I'm not well practiced enough in the exact technique you have described to be able to use it reliably with very long numbers. However, with that said, I have found the version of the subtraction method which I do use to be sufficient for my purposes in 'cracking' numbers at the level posed at the MSO. I don't presently have any more refined technique than I have described, but I must concede the point that I have not actively looked for one since the method I use has (so far) suited my purposes.

      With the MSO in mind, with or without specific attention to the MC World Championship, I do not yet know the dates of competition as the entry forms & attendant literature have not yet been released by the organisers. Probably the best person to approach in this respect would be event co-ordinator Tony Corfe who can be contacted on the e-mail address of tony@... - although he himself may not have any fixed dates as yet. The MSO usually runs from one weekend to the next and finishes on a U.K. public holiday (a Monday in late August, usually the last Monday of that month) with the MC event normally held during the second weekend. I don't usually like to guess, but it may very well be that the MC World Championship could be held on one of the days on which you have to work. I certainly hope I am wrong, since any world title (in my opinion) would be seriously devalued if the reigning World Champion is unavailable to defend the title.

      Perhaps not the best of news, and certainly not the most conclusive, but I regret it's all I have available to me at this time. Let's hope I'm wrong after all, and that we can still do 'battle royal' in Manchester!

      Best regards,
      George

      Fleissdr@... wrote:
      Hi George,

      thank you very much!
      I think, that it takes more time to divide by 7 (than 11, than 13) instead of
      1,001 (substraction technique). Do you know a more efficient technique
      (esspecially by long numbers with 100 or more digits)? (The same argument -
      subtraction technique -you can find with 10,001 (or 73 than 137).)

      On the weekend 27th, 28th of August I have to work.
      Do you know the exact date for the MSO (mental calculation)? (I hope not at
      these both days.)

      Best wishes,

      Gert

      Yahoo! Groups Links