Re: Mental Calculation World Cup 2004

  • ralf_laue
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, "Yusnier Viera Romero"
      <yusnier@l...> wrote:
      > Hello, I am Cuban. I will want to organize a similar competition in
      my country and I want to know how one mental calculator could answer.
      If there is not chance to write intermediate results. How could they
      control that (if the answer was written)??

      Hello,

      great to hear about your plans for MC a competition. Please keep us
      informed about the contest.
      Only the results had to be written down. Corrections were allowed but
      must not be misused to write down intermediate results.
      ("Intermediate results" are numbers or similar information which is
      NOT part of the end result. So writing down the result of a
      multiplication one digit after the other -from right ot left or from
      left to right- is perfectly allowed.)

      The jury gets the answer sheets and has to decide what counts as
      forbidden writing down of intermediate results.
      Because the task sheets are not the only place to write down something
      (the table and even the hands comes in mind), we had "observers"
      placed between the contestants.

      Good luck for your competition!
      Ralf
    • George Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2004
        Ralf, I most heartily agree with your sentiments - and many thanks to Yusnier. Best of luck indeed! With more competitive events taking place, maybe we can make the rest of the world take notice of mental calculations as a serious matter.

        Best regards,
        George

        wrote:
        > Hello, I am Cuban. I will want to organize a similar competition in
        my country and I want to know how one mental calculator could answer.
        If there is not chance to write intermediate results. How could they
        control that (if the answer was written)??

        Hello,

        great to hear about your plans for MC a competition. Please keep us
        informed about the contest.
        Only the results had to be written down. Corrections were allowed but
        must not be misused to write down intermediate results.
        ("Intermediate results" are numbers or similar information which is
        NOT part of the end result. So writing down the result of a
        multiplication one digit after the other -from right ot left or from
        left to right- is perfectly allowed.)

        The jury gets the answer sheets and has to decide what counts as
        forbidden writing down of intermediate results.
        Because the task sheets are not the only place to write down something
        (the table and even the hands comes in mind), we had "observers"
        placed between the contestants.

        Good luck for your competition!
        Ralf

        Yahoo! Groups Links