Re: [Mental Calculation] Vedic Math

  • Stephen Uitti
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2004

      --- Emmanuel/DATA wrote:
      > Yes I do;many of the calculation tricks given can be
      > found in many other sources;
      > You can find some on multiplications (with
      > introduction to cross multiplication; simplification
      > of bigger multiplication with the method of comlements
      > shown by David Goldstein on Oleg's site); decimal
      > expension of prime numbers.

      Can you comment on calculation tricks vs. a simple
      mechanical proceedure - such as the soroban?
      In particular, I'm curious if such tricks are used
      instead of such a proceedure, or in addition to
      such a proceedure. If they are used instead of,
      are there enough tricks to handle enough cases...
    • Emmanuel.DUBRULLE@cec.eu.int
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2004
        I cannot compare with soroban;

        >If they are used instead of,
        >are there enough tricks to handle enough cases

        "Brutal force" is sometime more effective than tricks
        However as I often told on the list; if you you know ans master enough
        cases/trick to give instantly the answer of a 2digit x 2digit multiplication
        then a 3digit by 3digit calculation is barely more difficult;

        knowing tricks for squaring all numbers ending by 5 is extremely useful to
        transform a multiplication into difference of 2 squares

        and squaring a 3digit number ending by 5 is childplay;
        for instance 875²=(9 x 850000)+625=765625 or 8x950000 +5625

        --- Emmanuel/DATA wrote:
        > Yes I do;many of the calculation tricks given can be
        > found in many other sources;
        > You can find some on multiplications (with
        > introduction to cross multiplication; simplification
        > of bigger multiplication with the method of comlements
        > shown by David Goldstein on Oleg's site); decimal
        > expension of prime numbers.

        Can you comment on calculation tricks vs. a simple
        mechanical proceedure - such as the soroban?
        In particular, I'm curious if such tricks are used
        instead of such a proceedure, or in addition to
        such a proceedure. If they are used instead of,
        are there enough tricks to handle enough cases...

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Gaurav Tekriwal
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 14, 2008
          Hi there Albert,

          I would be happy to train people here on High Speed Vedic Mathematics.I have
          been doing this for the last 10 years and have trained thousands of students
          in the field.

          I would love to participate and share my knowledge with this dynamic group
          of mental calculators. I would like to again invite all of you to my website
          which is www.vedicmathsindia.org

          Here you would know all about Vedic Math and it has some tutorials also. I
          would be happy to take personal classes online for all of you.

          Let me know if you guys would be interested.

          Thanking you,
          --
          Warm Wishes
          Gaurav

          Gaurav Tekriwal
          President
          The Vedic Math Forum India
          167/N Rash Behari Avenue,
          Jasoda Bhawan 2nd Floor
          Kolkata- 700 019 INDIA
          Mobile: +91-98305-32264
          www.vedicmathsindia.org
          -------------------------------------

          On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM, A.W.A.P. Bouman <awap.bouman@...>
          wrote:

          > Dear Albert,
          >
          > As it is in my opinion unthinkable to keep knowledge for himself, I surely
          > are willing to help you.
          >
          > You indicate however no special question, about what do you want to know
          > something?
          >
          > Addition, eg is an affair of intense selftraining, for multiplication
          > there is the generally used cross method. Begin with that and do not take
          > too much hey on your fork ( a Dutch expression, not to overload yourself) .
          >
          > I have no idea what is freeware on the web, there are heaps of useful
          > books, eg the George Lane book: "Mind Games". Start with that.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Willem Bouman

        • Albert Xu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2008
            Hi Gaurav,

            Thanks. I must admit that I'm very interested. I hope I can meet you on the
            linee soon. But it seems your site is a commercial ones, are you teaching
            your lessons free?

            let me know when, if the lesson will begin?

            I had an extra question: From my elementary school, my teacher told me to do
            multiplication like this steps:
            for example: 654 x238
            654
            x 238
            --------
            firstly cal 8 x654 =5232
            second cal 30 x654 =19620
            third cal 200 x654 =130800
            then add them up to get 155652

            So how about in Verdic math? can you let me know an example to see how
            verdic works?

            Thanks.
            Albert Xu

            2008/4/15, Gaurav Tekriwal <gtekriwal@...>:

            > Hi there Albert,
            >
            > I would be happy to train people here on High Speed Vedic Mathematics.I
            > have
            > been doing this for the last 10 years and have trained thousands of
            > students
            > in the field.
            >
            > I would love to participate and share my knowledge with this dynamic group
            > of mental calculators. I would like to again invite all of you to my
            > website
            > which is www.vedicmathsindia.org
            >
            > Here you would know all about Vedic Math and it has some tutorials also. I
            > would be happy to take personal classes online for all of you.
            >
            > Let me know if you guys would be interested.
            >
            > Thanking you,
            > --
            > Warm Wishes
            > Gaurav
            >
            > Gaurav Tekriwal
            > President
            > The Vedic Math Forum India
            > 167/N Rash Behari Avenue,
            > Jasoda Bhawan 2nd Floor
            > Kolkata- 700 019 INDIA
            > Mobile: +91-98305-32264
            > www.vedicmathsindia.org
            > -------------------------------------
            >
            > On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM, A.W.A.P. Bouman <awap.bouman@...<awap.bouman%40casema.nl>
            > >
            > wrote:
            >
            > > Dear Albert,
            > >
            > > As it is in my opinion unthinkable to keep knowledge for himself, I
            > surely
            > > are willing to help you.
            > >
            > > You indicate however no special question, about what do you want to know
            > > something?
            > >
            > > Addition, eg is an affair of intense selftraining, for multiplication
            > > there is the generally used cross method. Begin with that and do not
            > take
            > > too much hey on your fork ( a Dutch expression, not to overload
            > yourself) .
            > >
            > > I have no idea what is freeware on the web, there are heaps of useful
            > > books, eg the George Lane book: "Mind Games". Start with that.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > >
            > > Willem Bouman

            Albert Xu
            skype: Xu_Tianwei
            MSN: Xu_tianwei@...
            tel: +86-13530099542

          • Gaurav Tekriwal
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 16, 2008
              Hi Albert,

              The lessons are sold online. But only for selected members of the MCWC Group
              will I make it Free for over 10 Hours as I am a member of this group myself.
              These members can be chosen by Ralf. No Issues.This Program has taken us a
              lot of time to prepare and understand and also will be taking time to give
              the knowledge. Hence understandably the cost. There is a cost to maintain
              the virtual classroom also there fore the cost.

              The Method for multiplication is known by everyone perhaps. It is the
              Vertically & Crosswise Method. Different schools have called it
              differently.

              I will be happy to discuss mental methods for square roots etc.

              I will let you guys know shortly about the dates.

              Many Thanks

              Warm Wishes
              Gaurav Tekriwal

              '