Re: [Mental Calculation] Mind Sports Olympics Result

  • Jan van Koningsveld
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
      Congratulations to Gert and George. Please tell us something about the event. What about Robert ?

      Regards
      Jan

    • George Lane
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
        For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note of the following:

        During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

        It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots" problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723 from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the inaccurate value of 723.

        In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

        Regards
        George Lane

        ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
        Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
        Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
        George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
        Gratulations to them as well!

        Ralf

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • alberto coto
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
          Congratulations to Gert and George.

          Is there information about this event in internet ?

          See us in Annaberg

          Alberto

          ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
          Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
          Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
          George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
          Gratulations to them as well!

          Ralf

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Arun Mangal
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
            Congratulations
            www.humancalender.com
            ARUN MANGAL INDIA
            > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
            Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note
            of the following:

            > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert
            Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these
            papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

            > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of
            the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the
            correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it
            with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions
            had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots"
            problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first
            tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
            withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723
            from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two
            joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me
            with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the
            strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score
            be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the
            inaccurate value of 723.

            > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy
            (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the
            tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I
            should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

            > Regards
            > George Lane
            >
            > ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
            > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
            > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
            > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
            > Gratulations to them as well!
            >
            > Ralf
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Arun Mangal
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
              Sir may I know e mail address of Dr. Gret Metring
              ARUN MANGAL INDIA
              www.humancalender.com
              > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
              Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note
              of the following:

              > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert
              Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these
              papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

              > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of
              the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the
              correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it
              with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions
              had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots"
              problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first
              tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
              withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723
              from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two
              joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me
              with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the
              strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score
              be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the
              inaccurate value of 723.

              > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy
              (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the
              tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I
              should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

              > Regards
              > George Lane
              >
              > ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
              > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
              > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
              > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
              > Gratulations to them as well!
              >
              > Ralf
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • mymail345
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                Congratulations George and good luck with rectifying the mistake.

                On another topic, do you have any idea when your book will be
                availabe?

                Thanks!
              • rob1729
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                  Well done both Gert and George. I wish I could have been there. Can
                  you give some examples of the other questions? Any surprises?

                  Robert
                • rob1729
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                    The uncertainty in the rules is unfortunate. Not making the rules
                    known publicly beforehand - like the leeway rule that George
                    mentions - is very odd.

                    The rules should be easy to understand and implement and be made
                    public (by displaying them on the MSO site). I have some proposals:

                    Permit no corrections of any kind, i.e. allow only a single attempt
                    at each answer (these were the rules prior to 2000 - Why were they
                    changed?)

                    If identical scores arise, then the fastest completion time decides
                    winner (if same score and similar times, then dead heat). I believe
                    this is another existing but undisclosed rule.

                    X decimal places means... An unambiguous definition is needed. If a
                    leeway rule is introduced, then it should be stated AND PUBLICISED.

                    Robert

                    --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane
                    <george972453@y...> wrote:
                    > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
                    Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take
                    due note of the following:

                    > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of
                    Gert Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found
                    that these papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

                    > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the
                    value of the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper
                    showed the correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written -
                    only to replace it with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the
                    person who set the questions had stated that a 'tolerance'
                    or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots" problems should be applied,
                    thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first tie-break was
                    originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
                    withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was
                    reduced to 723 from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for
                    the issuing of two joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to
                    change the rules & issue me with a score of 723 and a silver medal.
                    I will be issuing a protest in the strongest terms to the staff of
                    the MSO and therefore suggest that my score be recognised as being
                    of the correct value of 735 rather than the inaccurate value of 723.

                    > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David
                    Levy (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to
                    mention the tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not
                    therefore believe I should be relegated because somebody else made a
                    mistake.

                    > Regards
                    > George Lane
                    >
                    > ralf_laue <info@r...> wrote:
                    > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
                    > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
                    > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with
                    664.
                    > Gratulations to them as well!
                    >
                    > Ralf
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links