Re: [Mental Calculation] Mind Sports Olympics Result

  • issam khneisser
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
      Congratulations,

      to Dr. Gert MiTTRING and to Geoge Leane, is that the Mind Sport Olympics is that took place in Manchester. Two candidates preparing themself to be the favorites in the World cup at Annaberg. that mean that other competitor should try to work hard on themselves if they like to do a result there.

      I am wondering if Dr Gert Mittring is participating for the first time in the Mind Sport Olympics.

      Dear Ralf, as the deadline of the world cup is today, can we have in the near future the list of all participants

      salutations

      Issam

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
        Congratulations to Gert and George. Please tell us something about the event. What about Robert ?

        Regards
        Jan

      • George Lane
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
          For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note of the following:

          During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

          It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots" problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723 from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the inaccurate value of 723.

          In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

          Regards
          George Lane

          ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
          Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
          Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
          George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
          Gratulations to them as well!

          Ralf

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • alberto coto
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
            Congratulations to Gert and George.

            Is there information about this event in internet ?

            See us in Annaberg

            Alberto

            ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
            Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
            Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
            George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
            Gratulations to them as well!

            Ralf

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Arun Mangal
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
              Congratulations
              www.humancalender.com
              ARUN MANGAL INDIA
              > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
              Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note
              of the following:

              > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert
              Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these
              papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

              > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of
              the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the
              correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it
              with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions
              had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots"
              problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first
              tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
              withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723
              from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two
              joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me
              with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the
              strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score
              be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the
              inaccurate value of 723.

              > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy
              (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the
              tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I
              should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

              > Regards
              > George Lane
              >
              > ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
              > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
              > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
              > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
              > Gratulations to them as well!
              >
              > Ralf
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Arun Mangal
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                Sir may I know e mail address of Dr. Gret Metring
                ARUN MANGAL INDIA
                www.humancalender.com
                > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
                Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take due note
                of the following:

                > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of Gert
                Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found that these
                papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

                > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the value of
                the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper showed the
                correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written - only to replace it
                with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the person who set the questions
                had stated that a 'tolerance' or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots"
                problems should be applied, thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first
                tie-break was originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
                withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was reduced to 723
                from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for the issuing of two
                joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to change the rules & issue me
                with a score of 723 and a silver medal. I will be issuing a protest in the
                strongest terms to the staff of the MSO and therefore suggest that my score
                be recognised as being of the correct value of 735 rather than the
                inaccurate value of 723.

                > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David Levy
                (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to mention the
                tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not therefore believe I
                should be relegated because somebody else made a mistake.

                > Regards
                > George Lane
                >
                > ralf_laue <info@...> wrote:
                > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
                > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
                > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with 664.
                > Gratulations to them as well!
                >
                > Ralf
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • mymail345
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                  Congratulations George and good luck with rectifying the mistake.

                  On another topic, do you have any idea when your book will be
                  availabe?

                  Thanks!
                • rob1729
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                    Well done both Gert and George. I wish I could have been there. Can
                    you give some examples of the other questions? Any surprises?

                    Robert
                  • rob1729
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 31, 2004
                      The uncertainty in the rules is unfortunate. Not making the rules
                      known publicly beforehand - like the leeway rule that George
                      mentions - is very odd.

                      The rules should be easy to understand and implement and be made
                      public (by displaying them on the MSO site). I have some proposals:

                      Permit no corrections of any kind, i.e. allow only a single attempt
                      at each answer (these were the rules prior to 2000 - Why were they
                      changed?)

                      If identical scores arise, then the fastest completion time decides
                      winner (if same score and similar times, then dead heat). I believe
                      this is another existing but undisclosed rule.

                      X decimal places means... An unambiguous definition is needed. If a
                      leeway rule is introduced, then it should be stated AND PUBLICISED.

                      Robert

                      --- In MentalCalculation@yahoogroups.com, George Lane
                      <george972453@y...> wrote:
                      > For those of you who have read Ralf's message regarding the Mental
                      Calculations World Championship result from MSO 2004, please take
                      due note of the following:

                      > During the event, the officials marked both my paper and that of
                      Gert Mittring equally as 690/705. Upon investigation, it was found
                      that these papers should have carried the score of 735/750.

                      > It was later shown that my paper had the answer of 8.70 for the
                      value of the fifth root of 50,000 to 2 decimal places. Gert's paper
                      showed the correct answer 8.71, which I had originally written -
                      only to replace it with 8.70. I was informed of the fact that the
                      person who set the questions had stated that a 'tolerance'
                      or 'leeway' of 0.01 in the "deep roots" problems should be applied,
                      thus rendering my answer acceptable. The first tie-break was
                      originally awarded to myself, but when the 'tolerance' was
                      withdrawn, without any reason which I could see, my score was
                      reduced to 723 from the correct value of 735. Gert had appealed for
                      the issuing of two joint gold medals, but the officials saw fit to
                      change the rules & issue me with a score of 723 and a silver medal.
                      I will be issuing a protest in the strongest terms to the staff of
                      the MSO and therefore suggest that my score be recognised as being
                      of the correct value of 735 rather than the inaccurate value of 723.

                      > In deliverance of the ruling on Monday afternoon U.K. time, David
                      Levy (chief organiser) admitted it had been "our mistake" not to
                      mention the tolerance of 0.01 on the question papers. I do not
                      therefore believe I should be relegated because somebody else made a
                      mistake.

                      > Regards
                      > George Lane
                      >
                      > ralf_laue <info@r...> wrote:
                      > Gratulations to Gert Mittring for winning the MC event at the Mind
                      > Sports Olympics with a score of 735 out of 750!
                      > George Lane finished second with 723, Matthew Cordell third with
                      664.
                      > Gratulations to them as well!
                      >
                      > Ralf
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links