Re: [Mental Calculation] How To Begin Mental Calculation?

  • issam khneisser
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
      u should start by henry sticker book "how to calculate quickly," plus u should practice about three hours a day
      u will see how good u will be after three years

      good luck

      architectsofideas@... wrote:
      Dear Folks--

      I would like to begin learning Mental Calculation.

      Though not an unintelligent person, I've never been strong at it, and I've only now begun to appreciate the fact that Mathematics is a wonderful thing, and I now understand that mastery brings many benefits personally and professionally.

      I want to acquire skills in that area. I have some questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

      1. How does one begin to learn Mental Calculation, starting with the very basics and proceeding to more challenging levels? Is there a specific system that is better than others and where may I get hold of that knowledge?

      2. How far can one go with it - can one do advanced Mathematics such as Trigonometery and Calculus using Mental Calculation? How can I learn to do so?

      3. How much practicing should I do?

      4. How quickly might I expect to progress?

      Thank you in advance for your help...

      T.L. Lawrence
      architectsofideas@...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • George Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2004
        Hello there.

        Although there are many good books on the subject of mental calculations, indeed I have a book coming out myself later this year, I think you might find the best starting point to be an 'ordinary' mathematics text book. In working through the exercises & examples, it is worth a gradual change from using your pen to using your mind. By relying on writing to a gradually lessening degree, you should - after a while - find yourself able to work through some relatively tough problems without the need for physically recording any figures. Progress to 'more challenging levels' will come about quite naturally with time, practice and patience.

        There are many systems in use today, and I have no doubt there will soon be more. It would be wise to try to learna little of each of several, and see if there is one which you feel more comfortable with. The best system is not always the same for one person as it is for another.

        It is indeed possible to perform some of the more advanced calculations, such as the trignometric functions and calculus you mention. In fact, I use calculus as my preferred method for solving cube & deeper roots with inexact answers. This is not easy, but it is part of the 'progress to more challenging levels' if you wish to take things that far.

        As for practice, a set amount of time each day is not necessarily a good idea. It is probably better, in my estimation, to set yourself 'a bit here, a bit there' as and when you can - if you try to 'force' practice time, it becomes more of a chore and less enjoyable. This, in turn, can lead to slower progress (a happy person usually works better and more quickly than someone who is sad or angry).

        Your rate of progress will depend on you. You will progress faster if you practice more, but remember not to try to push things too fast or too far. Unless you are looking to use the expertise professionally, the best idea is to have fun with it; otherwise, if enjoyment is lost, interest will wane.

        Best regards,

        George Lane
        Mental Calculations World Champion

        architectsofideas@... wrote:
[...]