RE: [Men's Issues Online] DV screening

  • Fredric Hayward
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2012
    I just tested this link again.  For me, it goes directly to the comment page.  First, you check agreement with the confidentiality policy, and then you fill in the public comment form.  I'm attaching a screen shot of what I get from the link so you can see what I mean.

    Fred

    From: rights4men.immediately2@...
    Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:57:10 +0100

    Where do you put the commment?

    Best Regards

    Spence
    -----------------------
    ['Imagination is more powerful than knowledge', Einstein] So imagine making
    a difference and showing other men what to do.
    07756932669 Send a text.
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012
    By Genevra Pittman

    NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - A government-backed panel on Tuesday recommended
    doctors ask their female patients about domestic violence they are currently
    experiencing or may have faced in the past.

    The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, an expert group that sets screening
    guidelines, said there is "adequate" evidence that asking about partner
    violence -- and referring women who need it to counseling services -- can
    reduce their mental and physical harm related to the abuse.

    The guideline statement, which is still in draft form and available online
    for public comment, is based on a summary of the evidence for and against
    screening conducted by Oregon researchers for the task force and published
    last month (see Reuters Health story of May 7, 2012.)

    "Violence is devastating to women and their families and it is good for us
    to be able to have a clear and strong recommendation that there is something
    that we can do," said Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo, a member of the task
    force and an epidemiologist at the University of California, San Francisco.

    "The most important thing, the really key message I think in these
    recommendations, is that clinicians need to ask."

    The task force concluded that a range of strategies -- including having
    women fill out a questionnaire in the waiting room or doctors asking a few
    brief questions during a check-up -- are effective for spotting those who
    are facing partner violence.

    And there's also evidence that women who are referred for help, for example
    to a social worker, are more likely to leave an abusive partner -- or
    experience less abuse if they choose to stay in the relationship, the task
    force writes in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
    The guidelines apply to women age 14 to 46 and update a 2004 statement in
    which the USPSTF determined there wasn't enough evidence to recommend for or
    against asking women about intimate partner violence.

    "Fortunately since that time there have been many studies... (that suggest)
    asking and identifying women and then referring them to a range of potential
    types of interventions really does result in improved health outcomes for
    these women," Bibbins-Domingo told Reuters Health.

    "The exciting thing is, the evidence is now out there," said Dr. Karin
    Rhodes, who has studied intimate partner violence at the University of
    Pennsylvania School of Medicine in Philadelphia and wasn't involved in the
    new guidelines.

    Rhodes told Reuters Health organizations such as the American Medical
    Association have recommended asking women about partner violence for years,
    but screening had been hard to implement without evidence showing how well
    it works.

    "We finally have the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force saying, 'This is a
    good idea,'" she said. "Now we have the imperative to get it done."

    The task force still did not find enough evidence to say whether it's
    helpful and worthwhile to ask elderly or vulnerable adults -- such as those
    with a disability or brain damage -- about any abuse they may be
    experiencing.

    When considering who should screen women for partner violence and how,
    Rhodes said the most important thing is that the conversations happen in
    private, confidential settings where women feel safe.

    For its recommendation, the task force considered possible harms of
    screening, such as making women feel uncomfortable discussing partner
    violence.

    "Sometimes I think clinicians may find it challenging to ask questions, that
    they're worried about sensitivity in women, they're worried about stigma,"
    Bibbins-Domingo said.

    But the panel determined that at most, the possible harms of asking about
    violence are "no greater than small" and are outweighed by the potential
    benefits of identifying abusive situations.

    According to a 2010 survey by the Centers for Disease Control and
    Prevention, one-quarter of all American women have been the victim of severe
    physical violence committed by a partner at some point.

    SOURCE: http://bit.ly/atTzv0 Annals of Internal Medicine, online June 12,
    2012.
    Reuters Health

    To comment on the recommendation, go to
    http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforcecomments.org/comments.aspx?dno=eTlNYUx2cUVUa0UlM2Q$

    Here are the comments I posted:

    It makes no more sense to exclude men from screening than it would to
    exclude female veterans from Traumatic Stress screening. Indeed, I have
    read studies which found that elderly men are not just potential victims,
    but that an elderly man is MORE likely to be abused by his wife than the
    reverse. (Perhaps, this is because of the differential in life expectancy,
    coupled with the statistical fact that husbands are generally older than
    their wives. In other words, it is TYPICAL that there will be a period
    toward the end of the marriage where the wife is more physically competent.)

    See http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm for a bibliography of several
    HUNDRED studies finding women to be at least as violent toward their
    partners as men.

    Frankly, I am more concerned about your blatant sexism than your ignorance
    of these studies. That is, REGARDLESS of their percentage, male victims
    deserve equal protection.

    Another comment: In my experience working with male victims of domestic
    violence, they require MORE outreach than female victims, rather than less.
    Because of the stereotype (which you are effectively reinforcing) that men
    are not victims, they are reluctant to internalize the concept that violence
    against them is real abuse. Furthermore, they so often experience
    authorities not taking them seriously (as you are doing here) that they
    become reluctant to seek help.