Crested Caracara continues

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23 8:43 PM
      Monday - 23 August 2004 - The CRESTED CARACARA was still present along
      Highway 1 on the coast in Mendocino County
      today from about 3:00 - 3:30 PM. The bird was seen in the cypress tree
      near the dead deer carcass at mile marker 79.75 south of Westport.
      It flew to the north once only to return again a short while later. At
      about 3:30 PM it flew to the north along the bluff and disappeared from view.
      Several local birders observed it today and it would be great to have
      observation notes from those who see it. As far as we could tell it appears
      to be a one year old bird with yellow legs and a brown cast to the body
      (but light was bad). There was lots of meat left on the deer carcass so
      the bird will probably hang around for a while. - Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • Feather Forestwalker
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23 8:47 PM
        If anyone is cruising through Fort Bragg and wouldn't mind picking me up to
        take me to see this bird, please call me?

        964-7023.

        Feather, whose vehicle doesn't like the road to Westport. . .

        > Monday - 23 August 2004 - The CRESTED CARACARA was still present along
        > Highway 1 on the coast in Mendocino County
        > today from about 3:00 - 3:30 PM. The bird was seen in the cypress tree
        > near the dead deer carcass at mile marker 79.75 south of Westport.
        > It flew to the north once only to return again a short while later. At
        > about 3:30 PM it flew to the north along the bluff and disappeared from
        view.
        > Several local birders observed it today and it would be great to have
        > observation notes from those who see it. As far as we could tell it
        appears
        > to be a one year old bird with yellow legs and a brown cast to the body
        > (but light was bad). There was lots of meat left on the deer carcass so
        > the bird will probably hang around for a while. - Bob Keiffer
        >

        > Robert J. Keiffer
        > Principal Supt. of Agriculture
        > UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
        > 4070 University Road
        > Hopland, CA 95449
        > (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040
        > HREC website: http://danrrec.ucdavis.edu/hopland/home_page.html
        >
        > "It is not the critic who counts... not the one who points out how the
        > strong person stumbles... or where the doer of deeds could have done
        > better. The credit belongs to the person who is actually in the arena."
        > Theodore Roosevelt

        these addresses: