Crested Caracara

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2004
      Around 2:30 PM today Nikki White and I found the bird in the area already described. Shortly after Toby Tobkin arrived. We watched the bird for over an hour. At about 4:10 PM the bird flew north. Dave Jensen's report describes the events following our last sighting.
      Additional information concerning the discovery of the bird may be of use to those who will be "chasing".
      I had a call from Bonnie Eagleton a Lake County resident . She saw the bird yesterday at about 2:30 P.M. while driving on highway 1 . At that time it was not far south of Westport in an area called Blue Slide feeding on carrion. This is between Chadbourne Gulch (a steep gulch with a small creek and an extensive riparian area) and Westport. Evidently it then moved north of Westport to its present location and has stayed in that area through today.

      Also this morning I found an Orchard Oriole in Westport. The bird was perched in a tree (there is a dilapidated shed right next to this tree) near the intersection of Hillcrest Terrace and Pelican Rd. It flew off and I could not relocate it. However at about 4:30 P.M. Toby Tobkin refound the bird in the same tree.

      Additionally at about 12:30 P.M. there was a fly-over White-winged Dove at the Mendocino Headlands. Jerry White

    • George Chaniot
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 23, 2004
        Mon, 23 Aug 2004 -- A CRESTED CARACARA
        is currently being seen in coastal Mendocino
        County near the town of Westport. It was first
        reported on Aug 21 along Highway 1 several
        miles south of Westport feeding on carrion. For
        the last two days it has been seen by many
        observers north of Westport near milemarker
        79.75. It has been seen most often with Turkey
        Vultures in a lone cypress tree to the west of the
        highway. There is a deer carcass between the tree
        and the road where they are feeding. As of this
        afternoon there is still a good deal of meat on the
        carcass, and it may be attractive for several days
        to come. At about 3:30 P.M. today the caracara
        approached this area from the north where it had
        been sitting in another cypress about 0.5 mile
        away. It flew off to the north again about 10
        minutes later - probably going at least one mile
        along the Westport-Union Landing State Beach.
        More details of the sightings may be found
        at the Mendobirds website at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds
        messages 993,994,996, and you can watch that
        site for updates.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA