mouth of Gualala River report

  • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2004
      Mendobirders,

      My wife Xiaoqing and I birded the mouth of the Gualala River 8-20-04. There
      was a Chestnut-sided Warbler along the river downstream of the Hwy. 101 bridge
      on the Mendo side. On the Sonoma County side along the straighaway leading
      to the entrance to Gualala Point Regional Park there was a Northern Parula
      (possibly a HY bird). Xiaoqing also saw her first Pileated Woodpecker and River
      Otter. The Black Skimmers were waiting for me when I returned to Humboldt.

      Also, on 8-19-04 we birded the mouth of the Garcia River. There were lots
      and lots of shorebirds (SBDO, MAGO, WHIM, RUTU, BLTU, WESA, LESA, SEPL, RNPH)
      and a large tern flock (ELTE, CATE) but nothing shocking. I had a probable
      Semipalmated Sandpiper, but am uncertain on that one. That is probably where the
      skimmers rested on their way to Humboldt!

      The high point of my trip was my lifer Point Arena Mountain Beaver at
      Manchester State Park!!

      John Hunter
      Arcata, CA