Pelagic Report - 8/17/04

  • Matthew Matthiessen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 18, 2004
      Tuesday Aug 17 — We had lots of weather and even a few birds on yesterday's Shearwater Journeys pelagic trip out of Fort Bragg. The trip began in fog so heavy that we couldn't see birds until we "bumped" into them. About 10 miles out we left the fog bank for beautiful sunshine. Highlights of the day were an immature TUFTED PUFFIN we "bumped" into in the fog and a SOUTH POLAR SKUA that gave us all good looks at the back of the boat. Late in the afternoon we also found three FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATERS. In addition to the birds, we encountered a large group of Northern Right-whale Dolphins that played around the boat and entertained us with their antics. Below is the list of birds seen along with numbers of each in parentheses.

      Surf Scoter (2)
      Black-footed Albatross (30)
      Northern Fulmar (8)
      Pink-footed Shearwater (250+)
      Flesh-footed Shearwater (3)
      Buller's Shearwater (35)
      Sooty Shearwater (360)
      Brandt's Cormorant (2)
      Pelagic Cormorant (4)
      Red-necked Phalarope (15)
      South Polar Skua (3)
      Pomarine Jaeger (15)
      Long-tailed Jaeger (3)
      Heermann's Gull (2)
      California Gull (200)
      Western Gull (60)
      Sabine's Gull (2)
      Common Murre (40)
      Pigeon Guillemot (5)
      Cassin's Auklet (8)
      Rhinoceros Auklet (45)
      Tufted Puffin (1)

      California Sea Lion (7)
      Northern Fur Seal (1)
      Northern Elephant Seal (1)
      Northern Right-whale Dolphin (1,000)
      Pacific White-sided Dolphin (100)
      Dall's Porpoise (10)
      Ocean Sunfish (3)
      Blue Shark (1)

      For those interested, Shearwater Journeys has two more pelagic trip scheduled out of Fort Bragg this week - one of Fri the 20th and another on Sat the 21st.

      Good Birding,
      Matthew Matthiessen
      Ukiah, CA