Lake Mendocino, E. Shore

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2004
      Mon, 16 Aug 2004, 08:45-12:15 -- This morning I birded the relatively
      inaccessible E. side of Lake Mendocino from the Mesa day-use area to Perry
      Creek Cove and back. This entailed about 6 miles of walking on trails and
      shoreline. Probably the best shorebirding right now in interior Mendocino
      Co. is on the mud just south of spit at the Miti boat-in campground. There
      were also a few shorebirds at Barn Cove, but none at Perry Creek. Among
      about 80 LEAST SANDPIPERS were 9 WESTERN SANDPIPERS, 2 RED-NECKED
      PHALAROPES, 2 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, and an immature BAIRD'S SANDPIPER.
      There were three immature BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERONS and a SNOWY EGRET on
      this mud too, and 6 CASPIAN TERNS on the emerging bar with three buoys
      around it.
      By the time I got back to the Mesa heat stress was a reality; I
      should have gone earlier in the day. It probably would be better to boat
      across from the south marina.

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA

      Pied-billed Grebe
      Western Grebe
      Clark's Grebe
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret 1
      Green Heron
      Black-crowned Night Heron 3 imm
      Canada Goose
      Mallard
      Turkey Vulture
      Osprey
      American Kestrel
      Wild Turkey
      California Quail
      Semipalmated Plover 2
      Killdeer 30
      Spotted Sandpiper 3
      Western Sandpiper 6
      Least Sandpiper 80
      Baird's Sandpiper 1 imm.
      Red-necked Phalarope 2
      California Gull 20 ad & imm
      Caspian Tern 6 ad
      Mourning Dove
      Great Horned Owl under the Hwy 20 bridge
      Anna's Hummingbird
      Selasphorus sp.
      Belted Kingfisher
      Acorn Woodpecker