Re: [Mendobirds] Mendocino County Top Ten

  • tapaculo
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 15, 2004
      Mendobirders -

      I just checked John Sterling's Excel Countybirds spreadsheet. Under
      Mendocino County, it shows that Gray Flycatcher HAS BEEN SEEN in the
      county. I don't know if this is in error or not, but he must have put
      it on that list for some reason or other. John?

      Steve Rovell

      On Aug 13, 2004, at 8:25 AM, JHUNTER323@... wrote:

      > Mendobirders,
      >
      > Good list. The lack of Gray Flycatcher on the Mendo list really
      > surprises
      > me. In Humboldt and Trinity, a few are pretty regular at some dry
      > inland
      > sites (such as near Willow Creek, Humboldt) in late-April and early May
      > (where I have seen up to 5 at once). It would seem that they would
      > have a
      > similar status at areas like Hopland, but that is not the case. I
      > would be
      > interested in anyone's opinion on why this bird is not at least casual
      > in
      > interior Mendocino (and what about Lake?).
      >
      > FYI, I'll be in Point Arena all next week (work cell phone #
      > 599-2566). I
      > love fall.
      >

      > John E. Hunter
      >

      > "Jerry White"
      > <grwhite@... To:
      > <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
      >> cc:
      > Subject: [Mendobirds]
      > Mendocino County Top Ten
      > 08/13/2004 05:47
      > AM
      >

      > This list represents my personal choices for the most likely new
      > additions
      > to the Mendocino County Bird List.There are numerous records for most
      > of
      > these species in the neighboring and nearby coastal counties. Many of
      > these
      > birds are recorded every year along the Northern and Central California
      > coast. Not included on this list are likely or potential splits or any
      > of
      > the birds currently being reviewed by the CBRC.
      >
      > 1) Hooded Warbler
      > 2) Gray Flycatcher
      > 3) Brewer's Sparrow
      > 4) Least Flycatcher
      > 5) Baltimore Oriole
      > 6) Canada Warbler
      > 7) Philadelphia Vireo
      > 8) American Tree Sparrow
      > 9) Broad-winged Hawk
      > 10) Short-tailed Albatross
      > Jerry White

      > email to
      > these addresses:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > email to these addresses:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • John Sterling
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 15, 2004
        Thanks Steve for pointing that out.....I have a vague recollection of a Gray
        Flycatcher record for Mendocino several years ago but I cannot recall any
        details nor do I have any emails prior to1998 not saved on my computer. If
        anyone out there knows of a record, please let us know.

        John

        John Sterling
        VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

        26 Palm Ave
        Woodland, CA 95695

        530-668-1985 (home)
        530-668-8694 (home office)
        916-752-0899 (Cell)
        916-737-3000 (Sacramento Office)

        ani@...
        JSterling@...
> [...]
        > > 5) Baltimore Oriole
        > > 6) Canada Warbler
        > > 7) Philadelphia Vireo
        > > 8) American Tree Sparrow
        > > 9) Broad-winged Hawk
        > > 10) Short-tailed Albatross
        > > Jerry White

        > > Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
        > > Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
        > > email to
        > > these addresses:
        > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
        > > Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > > Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
        > > Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank

        these addresses:

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ron LeValley
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 17, 2004
          Black skimmers have finally arrived on the north coast. Matt Wachs found two
          birds (a pair of adults, one male and one female based on size) both banded,
          at the mouth of the Elk River in Humboldt County. The birds were associating
          with the tern and gull flock at the mouth of the river. To reach them, take
          Hilfiker Road west towards the bay off of Highway 101 in south Eureka. Look
          across the river to the north of the old pipeline at the end of the spit.

          Obviously we were wondering where the birds had come from. Does anyone know
          offhand who is banding skimmers in California?

          Thanks in advance for any info, and apologies for the cross-posting.

          Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
          ron@...
          707/839-0900
          Fax 839-0867