top ten list

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 15, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders, I guess I will join the group of "crystal ball"
      theorists and supply my list of "Top Ten" expected species to show up in
      Mendocino County. Of course the list is an educated guess and I am
      considering expectancy based upon nearby county records, abundance based
      upon nearby county records, expected birding coverage within our county in
      the next few years (minimal compared to other many other counties), ease
      of observing details for positive identification, unpredicted weather
      patterns (El Nino?) and storm events, plus a dash of good luck! I have a
      feeling that some of our serious birders are going to be scouring the coast
      this fall migration time in search of vireo/warbler - types ...which is why
      my list is "heavy" in that direction. My list, in no special order, includes:

      1) Trumpeter Swan*
      2) Broad-winged Hawk
      3) Short-tailed Albatross*
      4) Arctic Loon*
      5) Philadelphia Vireo
      6) Blackburnian Warbler
      7) Canada Warbler
      8) Plumbeous Vireo
      9) Gray Flycatcher
      10) Cape May Warbler

      There are quite a few species, many mentioned on other's "top ten"
      lists, that I believe have equal opportunity to be found in
      Mendocino. Some I'm sure have been here but just haven't been documented
      yet (or accepted by CBRC if review species *). Some may have already been
      seen but the observations are either pending with the CBRC (Arctic Loon,
      Thick-billed Murre) or were not accepted by CBRC (Trumpeter Swan). So my
      list represents those ten species that I am guessing will be the next added
      to the official Mendocino County list. I could have just as easily
      included: King Eider, Broad-billed Hummingbird, Little Blue Heron, Little
      Stint, Craveri's Murrelet, Curlew Sandpiper, Gray Catbird, Snowy Owl,
      Iceland Gull, Blue jay, Bohemian Waxwing, Bay-breasted Warbler, Hooded
      Warbler, Black-throated Green Warbler, Eastern Wood Pewee, and a handful of
      pelagics. I certainly believe that some of these will be added to the
      Mendo list before another Roadrunner is seen in the county!

      Good Luck and Good Birding!

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • tapaculo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 15, 2004
        Where can I get a copy of (or look at) the official Mendocino County
        checklist? I'd like to join in this game, but I don't want to look
        foolish by putting something down that doesn't belong.

        Steve Rovell