2nd Top Ten

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2004
      During the initial process of choosing the most likely adds for Mendocino, I found (because of the high number of possibilities) that is was fairly easy to come up with another 10 candidates. Now that several other people have published their lists it might be interesting to look at my 2nd top ten list:

      1) Blackburnian Warbler
      2) Plumbeous Vireo
      3) Cape May Warbler
      4) Little Blue Heron
      5) Least Bittern
      6) Gray Catbird
      7) King Eider
      8) Little Gull
      9) Craveri's Murrelet
      10) Dickcissel

      As Chuck Vaughn and I have discussed the next addition to the Mendocino list (because of all of the scheduled pelagic trips -six by Shearwater and one by the local audubon chapter - this fall) may actually be something like a Wedge-tailed Shearwater or a Bulwer's Petrel. But whatever the next bird is;be it a Brewer's Sparrow or a Wandering Albatross; it will be appreciated ( much more so by those of us who get to see it). Jerry White

    • tapaculo
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2004
        Here is my top 10 list:

        Blackburnian Warbler
        Hooded Warbler
        Gray Flycatcher
        Canada Warbler
        Philadelphia Vireo
        Baltimore Oriole
        Broad-winged Hawk
        King Eider
        Gray Catbird
        Dickcissel

        I was amazed to see so many vagrant passerines that weren't on this
        list. I guess I'm spoiled down here in Monterey County.

        Steve Rovell