Mendocino County Top Ten

  • Jerry White
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
      This list represents my personal choices for the most likely new additions to the Mendocino County Bird List.There are numerous records for most of these species in the neighboring and nearby coastal counties. Many of these birds are recorded every year along the Northern and Central California coast. Not included on this list are likely or potential splits or any of the birds currently being reviewed by the CBRC.

      1) Hooded Warbler
      2) Gray Flycatcher
      3) Brewer's Sparrow
      4) Least Flycatcher
      5) Baltimore Oriole
      6) Canada Warbler
      7) Philadelphia Vireo
      8) American Tree Sparrow
      9) Broad-winged Hawk
      10) Short-tailed Albatross
      Jerry White

    • JHUNTER323@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
        Mendobirders,

        Good list. The lack of Gray Flycatcher on the Mendo list really surprises
        me. In Humboldt and Trinity, a few are pretty regular at some dry inland
        sites (such as near Willow Creek, Humboldt) in late-April and early May
        (where I have seen up to 5 at once). It would seem that they would have a
        similar status at areas like Hopland, but that is not the case. I would be
        interested in anyone's opinion on why this bird is not at least casual in
        interior Mendocino (and what about Lake?).

        FYI, I'll be in Point Arena all next week (work cell phone # 599-2566). I
        love fall.

        John E. Hunter

        "Jerry White"
        <grwhite@... To: <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
        > cc:
        Subject: [Mendobirds] Mendocino County Top Ten
        08/13/2004 05:47
        AM

        This list represents my personal choices for the most likely new additions
        to the Mendocino County Bird List.There are numerous records for most of
        these species in the neighboring and nearby coastal counties. Many of these
        birds are recorded every year along the Northern and Central California
        coast. Not included on this list are likely or potential splits or any of
        the birds currently being reviewed by the CBRC.

        1) Hooded Warbler
        2) Gray Flycatcher
        3) Brewer's Sparrow
        4) Least Flycatcher
        5) Baltimore Oriole
        6) Canada Warbler
        7) Philadelphia Vireo
        8) American Tree Sparrow
        9) Broad-winged Hawk
        10) Short-tailed Albatross
        Jerry White

        these addresses:

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • tapaculo
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 15, 2004
          Mendobirders -

          I just checked John Sterling's Excel Countybirds spreadsheet. Under
          Mendocino County, it shows that Gray Flycatcher HAS BEEN SEEN in the
          county. I don't know if this is in error or not, but he must have put
          it on that list for some reason or other. John?

          Steve Rovell

          On Aug 13, 2004, at 8:25 AM, JHUNTER323@... wrote:

          > Mendobirders,
          >
          > Good list. The lack of Gray Flycatcher on the Mendo list really
          > surprises
          > me. In Humboldt and Trinity, a few are pretty regular at some dry
          > inland
          > sites (such as near Willow Creek, Humboldt) in late-April and early May
          > (where I have seen up to 5 at once). It would seem that they would
          > have a
          > similar status at areas like Hopland, but that is not the case. I
          > would be
          > interested in anyone's opinion on why this bird is not at least casual
          > in
          > interior Mendocino (and what about Lake?).
          >
          > FYI, I'll be in Point Arena all next week (work cell phone #
          > 599-2566). I
          > love fall.
          >

          > John E. Hunter
          >

          > "Jerry White"
          > <grwhite@... To:
          > <Mendobirds@yahoogroups.com>
          >> cc:
          > Subject: [Mendobirds]
          > Mendocino County Top Ten
          > 08/13/2004 05:47
          > AM
          >

          > This list represents my personal choices for the most likely new
          > additions
          > to the Mendocino County Bird List.There are numerous records for most
          > of
          > these species in the neighboring and nearby coastal counties. Many of
          > these
          > birds are recorded every year along the Northern and Central California
          > coast. Not included on this list are likely or potential splits or any
          > of
          > the birds currently being reviewed by the CBRC.
          >
          > 1) Hooded Warbler
          > 2) Gray Flycatcher
          > 3) Brewer's Sparrow
          > 4) Least Flycatcher
          > 5) Baltimore Oriole
          > 6) Canada Warbler
          > 7) Philadelphia Vireo
          > 8) American Tree Sparrow
          > 9) Broad-winged Hawk
          > 10) Short-tailed Albatross
          > Jerry White

          > email to
          > these addresses:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > email to these addresses:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Sterling
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 15, 2004
            Thanks Steve for pointing that out.....I have a vague recollection of a Gray
            Flycatcher record for Mendocino several years ago but I cannot recall any
            details nor do I have any emails prior to1998 not saved on my computer. If
            anyone out there knows of a record, please let us know.

            John

            John Sterling
            VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

            26 Palm Ave
            Woodland, CA 95695

            530-668-1985 (home)
            530-668-8694 (home office)
            916-752-0899 (Cell)
            916-737-3000 (Sacramento Office)

            ani@...
            JSterling@...
> [...]
            > > 5) Baltimore Oriole
            > > 6) Canada Warbler
            > > 7) Philadelphia Vireo
            > > 8) American Tree Sparrow
            > > 9) Broad-winged Hawk
            > > 10) Short-tailed Albatross
            > > Jerry White

            > > Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
            > > Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank
            > > email to
            > > these addresses:
            > > Turn off email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
            > > Resume email delivery: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > Listowners: mailto:MENDOBIRDS-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on Edit My
            > > Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank

            these addresses:

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Ron LeValley
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 17, 2004
              Black skimmers have finally arrived on the north coast. Matt Wachs found two
              birds (a pair of adults, one male and one female based on size) both banded,
              at the mouth of the Elk River in Humboldt County. The birds were associating
              with the tern and gull flock at the mouth of the river. To reach them, take
              Hilfiker Road west towards the bay off of Highway 101 in south Eureka. Look
              across the river to the north of the old pipeline at the end of the spit.

              Obviously we were wondering where the birds had come from. Does anyone know
              offhand who is banding skimmers in California?

              Thanks in advance for any info, and apologies for the cross-posting.

              Ron LeValley, Senior Biologist
              ron@...
              707/839-0900
              Fax 839-0867