Re:[Mendobirds] Red-eyed Vireo

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
      Photos of the Red-eyed Vireo at the Hopland Research and Extension Center
      on July 20th are available now on the Mendobirds website
      http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/lst
      and at the Peregrine Audubon Society website at
      http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/peregrine/photos.html

      Thanks to Becky Eisen for taking the photos and Chuck Vaughn for
      transmitting them.
      This is the first Mendocino County record.
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        Greetings, Mendobirders
        Last Saturday, 28 Aug 2004, I saw a RED-EYED VIREO shortly after
        sunrise in some valley oaks along West Road near the Potter Valley
        Cemetery. I heard some weak, Cassin's-like singing, and, as it was fall, I
        decided to try to get a look. When I got it in the binoculars, I realized I
        had an eyeline vireo and not an eyering vireo. It played hide and seek in
        the upper branches, but I finally got an identifying look - red eye and
        all. Then it flew off to the south over pastures, and I did not see it
        again. I looked again Sunday and Monday, but no luck.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA