Red-eyed Vireo

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2004
      Tuesday - 20 July 2004 - This morning at around 9:00 AM Chuck Vaughn, while
      working with the Lyme Disease Research mist-netting group, mist netted an
      adult Red-eyed Vireo on the UC Hopland Research & Extension Center. Chuck
      was kind enough to call me on the Center radio and I was able to see the
      bird also and release it.
      We have no idea if it will hang around. This is Mendocino county's first
      record for this long-overdue expected vagrant species. Bob Keiffer

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 29, 2004
        Photos of the Red-eyed Vireo at the Hopland Research and Extension Center
        on July 20th are available now on the Mendobirds website
        http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Mendobirds/lst
        and at the Peregrine Audubon Society website at
        http://www.pacificsites.com/~chaniot/peregrine/photos.html

        Thanks to Becky Eisen for taking the photos and Chuck Vaughn for
        transmitting them.
        This is the first Mendocino County record.
      • chaniot@pacific.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
          Greetings, Mendobirders
          Last Saturday, 28 Aug 2004, I saw a RED-EYED VIREO shortly after
          sunrise in some valley oaks along West Road near the Potter Valley
          Cemetery. I heard some weak, Cassin's-like singing, and, as it was fall, I
          decided to try to get a look. When I got it in the binoculars, I realized I
          had an eyeline vireo and not an eyering vireo. It played hide and seek in
          the upper branches, but I finally got an identifying look - red eye and
          all. Then it flew off to the south over pastures, and I did not see it
          again. I looked again Sunday and Monday, but no luck.

          George Chaniot
          Potter Valley, MEN, CA