Ukiah Caspian Tern

  • Chuck & Barbara Vaughn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 12, 2004
      Greetings Mendobirders- Earlier this evening I had a Caspian Tern noisily
      flying over my yard toward Lake Mendocino. This is by far the earliest
      inland Mendocino County fall record of which I am aware. FYI- I visited
      the USTP on Saturday morning and the conditions for shorebirds out there
      are really dismal. Two of the oxidation ponds are dry and weedy and the N
      pond is a lake with no shore at all. Unless management conditions change
      out there soon, shorebirding will be a bust this fall.

      Chuck

      *********************************
      Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
      1550 Deerwood Drive
      Ukiah, CA 95482

      cevaughn@...
    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2004
        Thu, 15 Jul 2004 -- Today at Lake Mendocino I saw at least 7, possibly 11,
        CASPIAN TERNS on various parts of the lake. All were adults. This still
        seems early for this number to be showing up here. There was also an adult
        BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON at the very south end of Coyote Dam near the
        small boat dock.

        George Chaniot

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5 7:56 PM
          Greetings Mendobirders- Late this afternoon while sitting in the sun in my
          back yard trying to make some Vitamin D, I had a solitary CASPIAN TERN
          soaring overhead. I assume that it came off of Lake Mendocino. I see them
          regularly during the fall, but this is the first I have ever seen in the
          spring. I looked at Jerry White's "Birds of Lake County Seasonal
          Checklist" and note that he reports them as "Rare" in the spring. I
          ascribe it to this bird's response, which is much like mine, to the most
          unpleasant, gloomy weather we have been experiencing. It did not know
          where it was or when it was. I had a couple of other migrating birds in
          the yard as well: single RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD and TOWNSEND WARBLER males.

          Go Giants, Chuck

          Chuck and Barbara Vaughn
          Ukiah, CA 95482

          cevaughn@...