Rufous-crowned Sparrow

  • Robert J. Keiffer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
      Sunday - June 27, 2004 - 6:30PM - While driving back from the coast on the
      Mountain House Road, which goes from Highway 128 east of Yorkville to
      Highway 101 at Hopland, I saw two adult and two begging juvenile
      Rufous-crowned Sparrows right at milepost 1.80 (just southwest of Cummiskey
      Creek Bridge). The birds were very vocal and active on both sides of the
      road, many times alighting on the fences. There may have been at least one
      more individual. Another Rufous-crowned Sparrow flew across the road
      near the culvert at milepost 3.98. These birds should be easy to refind
      for those that want good looks at RCSP.

      Robert J. Keiffer
      Principal Supt. of Agriculture
      UC Hopland Research & Extension Center
      4070 University Road
      Hopland, CA 95449
      (707) 744-1424 FAX (707) 744-1040

      Theodore Roosevelt

    • chaniot@pacific.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2004
        Sun, 5 Dec 2004 -- I don't run into this species often in my usual ambit,
        but this morning I had a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW in the rocks and grassy
        hillside at milepost 1.28 on Potter Valley Road. There was also an
        AMERICAN DIPPER singing just below the "death trap" rapids at the quarry
        near milepost 0.86. There was also a lot of fresh dipstuff on the rocks in
        this region. I've never heard one singing here in December before, and
        I've been slow to realize that dippers are one of our earliest songsters -
        and earliest nesters. Finally there was a FERRUGINOUS HAWK just south of my
        home on West Road. I guess it pays to get out early on a frosty morning.

        George Chaniot
        Potter Valley, MEN, CA